Pub Member / Supporter
- Jul 4, 2004
Statisticians do this kind of stuff all the time and they can provide you with uncertainty numbers. It is absolutely possible if you know what you're doing.Their survey represents 24,000 people out of 328,455,795 and growing (Population Clock). That's only .000073069% of the US population. I can't see how they can possibly get any meaningful data from that small a sampling.
This gate swings both ways. Cord Cutting in the Summer is no big deal but when the Fall season arrives with crappy weather and shorter days, OTT may not meet the need. Even with locals, OTT still seems to be lacking in sports and fresh programming from the networks (broadcast and cable).With that said, if you had asked me a month or two before I cut the cord what my intention was, I would've said "No, I have no plans to cut the cord." But then my next bill came. As a moderator in a cord-cutter FB group, I see it all the time. Most posts by new members start out along the lines, "I just got next month's [traditional pay-TV provider name] bill and decided to cut the cord.
This gate swings both ways. Cord Cutting in the Summer is no big deal but when the Fall season arrives with crappy weather and shorter days, OTT may not meet the need. Even with locals, OTT still seems to be lacking in sports and fresh programming from the networks (broadcast and cable).
Even here, there is a lack of knowledge as to what these services offer, and most members are not your average tv consumer.EDIT: And I seriously doubt the surveyors presented them with all the alternatives to cable and their pricing structures before asking them if they planned to cut the cord. Many people simply don't know enough about what's out there.
These survey organizations get paid millions of dollars not to make careless mistakes. I wasn't a participant in this survey but in surveys that I've participated in before, they laid out all the details so there was little room for confusion.EDIT: And I seriously doubt the surveyors presented them with all the alternatives to cable and their pricing structures before asking them if they planned to cut the cord.
I doubt that the pay TV industry has much to gain by "shaping" the results. They really need to know what their customers (existing and potential) are thinking.Reminds me of an old saying "figures don't lie, but a liar can figure."
Then they are not reading their bill,if this is what the poll says.
When I became able to stream my TV programming I jumped in with both feet,who wouldn't when there's no HD fee,no box fees,no guide fees,no DVR fees,no outlet fees.
I just had to buy 2 Roku Streaming Stick +'s,which I picked up for 1/3 what my cable company charges for their boxes when you don't turn them in.
If Charter Spectrum wants to compete with cord cutters and wants advice how to compete, I listed my cable companies problems in my 2nd sentence.
Otherwise I will keep saving $70. a month compared to what cable charges.The ironic thing is cable has a great app for TV,they just use it as an addition,not a stand alone option which they should do to compete.
They have it in my Area also, but for new customers onlyThey do offer it bundled with Internet, at least in my market.
View attachment 134839
I think you missed the point. The idea was that OTT uptake is projected to slow down rather than take over. Winning back customers without trying particularly hard is a good thing.Are we all reading the same numbers? It's quite clear early in the article that the title doesn't jibe with the numbers. 71% have no plans to cut? Holy cow man, that leaves 29%, a not insignificant number.