VIDEO - Dish ViP222

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SatelliteGuys gives you a look at the upcoming ViP 222 HD DVR.

Note you may want to turn down your volume for this video, while we lowered it the best we could, the audio is still a little hot.

[youtube]m0R8iJImPgg[/youtube]

Thank you for your support of SatelliteGuys.US!

Scott, did they have a remote device of their own to work with the 222 for that purpose? Hopefull if they do the device will have a very small footprint to be hidden behind a flat panel TV on the wall, that will serious make a lot of wall mount installations easy.

At the moment the 222 was in a 622 box, this product is a year or more away so I expect it to change a lot. But this is where I see consumer electronics going, and to me it is all very exciting. :)

So is this software available yet? Is it possible to network the 222 as of right now? I have all the networking gear and cables, I just need software and the fact that the 222 can be used like in the video or as an HD DVR with an external drive connected.

People also say that the drive is not able to be seen by the computer and it is locked to that receiver... little do people know its called reverse engineering. There will be a way for you to access your files through the pc... all you need is a linux based viewer...

The 222 is not out yet don't expect it out for at least a year.

Also Linux can not access the files on the Dish External hard drives.

People have been trying but no one has had any luck yet.

Any chance the TR-50 will be useable as a client for this thing? Seems like that would be a natural extension of the technology. How about those so called "Smart TVs" from HP? Chances they could have everything they need to operate as a client built in right now?

Scott I hope they are going to rename the 222 DVR as I thought that we already had a VIP222 here

I would have thought that they would have looked to a different name

Edit:After watching the clip (I should have done that first) and seeing that the software was updated on a current Vip222 shouldn't this thread be edited somewhat. It appears that they are using the Vip222 to stream to another DLNA certified device at a remote location. I don't see where at all the HD DVR refrence comes into it. It appears that this is potential software that "could" be released in the future to enable streaming.

I would like to see Dish integrate this with Vista Media Center, or at least have it as an option. I would prefer that GUI to a new one.

The VIP222 is what I have now. To my understanding it is supposed to be able to use external hard drive support in the second quarter of 2008 right?

Does anyone here know how to get the signal to go to my vista media center so that I can use my computer as a DVR and be able to change channels with my computer instead of using a satellite receiver?

The clueless Dish guy in the video even said in his intro that it was a standard 222 with upgraded firmware.

All it appears to be is a standard 222 with the ethernet port enabled and has UPNP capability. The client box appears to be something running sageTV. At least that's what the logo at the bottom right indicates. It could be made by Pioneer (large logo in the middle of the screen) or certainly could be made by Echostar since they are now the hardware production side of Dish. Regardless, the remote client appears to be what has the hard drive inside and is doing the DVR / capturing. (unless there is a hard drive off camera somewhere). My bet is it's just receiving the stream and buffering / time shifting internally.

You could do that all yourself using Sage TV and direct video output. This is just a nice addition of doing the encoding in the Dish receiver and sending it out via IP based.

I'd be happy for them to just enable the ethernet port and add external hard drive / DVR capability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)