VideoPath DP44 Power Inserter Specification

zamar23

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Mid West
Will DP44 Power Inserter pass DiSEqC commands? Can it be used to power a Motor while passing DiSEqC commands to it? Can it be used to power FSS LNBs via a regular DiSEqC Switch like Chieta 4x1 instead of DP44 Switch? Will it pass DiSEqC port selection commands back and force to the Chieta switch? Anyone tried that? Does it have a (backwards) DC Block incorporated? Anyone can post a full Spec for this Power Inserter: losses, frequency range, voltage, etc?

Please add your source links about this Power Inserter spec and capabilities if any. ;)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

DPP44 Power Inserter's Power Adapter (Model SSB-0334) has 2 voltage values on its sticker: 28 and 20.5 VDC 1.65A. Can someone explain, what does it mean:
- does it work in this voltage interval or with one of fixed values above?
- how the actual voltage value is selected by the adapter or DPP44 switch?
- Does this voltage value depend on required switch wattage at the moment to power a particular LNB set at optimum condition?
- Or its selected manually by a user - how?

Attachments

• DPP44 Power Inserter Power Adapter.jpg
    DPP44 Power Inserter Power Adapter.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 802
DPP 44 Install Manual says, its Power Inserter should be installed indoor. Anyone knows its ambient temperature spec range? Will it work OK within NA temperature range, if installed outdoor in a waterproof switch box? Can share such installation experience?

Common guys, this IS DN technical forum section! Anyone knows anything about this Power Inserter at all, apart from what's printed in DPP 44 public memorabilia? ;) DN Installers & technicians?

We know it is designed to power a DPP44 switch. Anything else you want to experiment on is at your own risk. And from your questipns doomed to failure.

I like your "failure" prediction - it may not happen however. Almost 6000 posts - and never tried to install this Power Inserter outside your house in a waterproof box? Will it work under -20C? ;)

All the power inserter does is power the DPP44+ switch

most people install them indoors because...well...it sends the power across the cable so there is no need to install it outside.

switch outside------cable for port going to receiver 1----------------------------power inserter----receiver

As for the rest of your original post its moot because all the inserter does is power the DPP44 switch. It has no other use

Any DN technician can give a hint on this Power Inserter's environmental spec? DN Dish systems can be self-installed, so such spec should be provided to an end-user. What kind of secret is it to tell the user if it works in a cold climate, and why 2 different voltages are shown on its power adapter's sticker? :)

simple

Any DN technician can give a hint on this Power Inserter's environmental spec? DN Dish systems can be self-installed, so such spec should be provided to an end-user. What kind of secret is it to tell the user if it works in a cold climate, and why 2 different voltages are shown on its power adapter's sticker? :)

The dpp44 switch will either put out one or the other. It is designed for one thing only and that is to power a dpp44 switch. That's the lond & the short of it. Anymore questions pretty much a waste of time.

The dpp44 switch will either put out one or the other.
Great, we are just started warming up and already getting somewhere. Does it mean that its Power Adapter has an auto switching transformer controlled by DPP44 switch via a 22 KHz signal? ;)

Last edited:
no

Great, we are just started to warming up and already getting somewhere. Does it mean that its Power Adapter has an auto switching transformer controlled by DPP44 switch via a 22 KHz signal? ;)

It means that it puts out only one or the other. I don't think it switches at all. I think but not sure that it will come at putting out one of the voltages or the other not switch between the two. All the switching is done w/in the DPP44 and I don't think it is compatible w/DiSEqC. It is a power supply only for the DPP44 and doesn't work for anything else. There is a possiblity that it is labeled this way to give a range of voltage dependent on how many LNB's are connected to the 4 inputs. So really don't think this will do you any good with a DiSEqC switch. It's not for FTA except for port 4 which is for 118.7 sat used for little but international channels. I pretty much think you have your answer. It's not going to work for FTA.

Thanks. I basically just need DC power from this Inserter. It passes 22 KHz tone, and that's what matters for my application, since I can't find a generic Inserter that would do the same. There're plenty of these sold separately, since some people don't use them to power switches. Of course, I'm concerned that for some unspecified reason its Power Adapter may suddenly switch to 28 VDC, and would be glad to hear it can't or will under what conditions, which is not the case so far. Other than that, would be nice to put it in an outdoor weather proof switchbox, but only if it can work under winter "pressure". In fact, its a small piece of hardware, we know almost nothing about, but I would be glad to learn a lot more. :)

Anyone knows if this Power Inserter incorporates a DC Blocker? Or its presumed that a DC Blocker on an STB LNB IN port will do the job? If it has a DC Blocker, is it by-directional on the coax port incoming from an STB? In other words, can this Inserter supply DC current backwards to the STB, or pass DC current from the STB to the switch?

No

Anyone knows if this Power Inserter incorporates a DC Blocker? Or its presumed that a DC Blocker on an STB LNB IN port will do the job? If it has a DC Blocker, is it by-directional on the coax port incoming from an STB? In other words, can this Inserter supply DC current backwards to the STB, or pass DC current from the STB to the switch?
I don't think there is a blocker it takes Dc from receiver and then outputs the total to the switch on it's output. You've got all the info there is on the pwr supply now.

Thanks a lot.

You see, such a small device, but there is a lot more to it when you look at it from all sides. From your explanation it looks more like a voltage stabilizer, since DC power from the receiver is still used to power the DPP 44 switch and also LNB. And guessing again, what would be the switch & lnb configuration requiring 28 VDC from it's Power Adapter? :)

not quite

Thanks a lot.

You see, such a small device, but there is a lot more to it when you look at it from all sides. From your explanation it looks more like a voltage stabilizer, since DC power from the receiver is still used to power the DPP 44 switch and also LNB. And guessing again, what would be the switch & lnb configuration requiring 28 VDC from it's Power Adapter? :)

It takes the voltage and bumps it up to the voltage needed to drive the switch & LNB's. At least I think so I could be wrong.

I wonder if this PI bugger will work with a different 18V power adapter to avoid risk of frying an FTA switch or motor with its 20.5V PA suddenly going to 28V. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)