Viewing DishNetwork on PC

bugmenot

Original poster
Dec 18, 2005
I know im new and everything, but one thing i would like to do is have some sort of software on my pc that could record from dish throught a PCI card or something. Is that possible with my dish network subscription?

im looking for something that can decode the sattelite signal and change channels when to record something.. I didn't think that was possible... I thought it had to be cable...

bugmenot said:
im looking for something that can decode the sattelite signal and change channels when to record something.. I didn't think that was possible... I thought it had to be cable...

There are satellite DVB cards that will get satellite programming. There used for Free to air and will not decode dish network... Anything beyond that is hacking. That will get you a closed thread and a life time bann :) If your looking to get into FTA check out our FTA section as there are many jewls that are often found And is moderated by a wonderful team who's allways willing to help out. :)

goaliebob99 said:
What is USBuirt?? Mann you have a 111... that thing is OOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!! im surprized you havent traded that thing in for a 311 :)
111s are NOT that old. IIRC, they are newer than the 301.

They are a basic, basic box - RF output only.

goaliebob99 said:
What is USBuirt??

It's a device that hooks up via USB to a PC and sends out IR signals. You can program the PC with the remote codes for other devices and the PC can then control them. It's popular for use with PC PVR applications like SageTV or GBPVR.

goaliebob99 said:
What is USBuirt?? Mann you have a 111... that thing is OOOOOOOLLLLLDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!! im surprized you havent traded that thing in for a 311 :)

Like iammike says it's an irblaster device that sends remote signals to the box. I've got a box that dual boots between windows and linux and I've got pvr working on both. For windows I use GBPVR to record, and on the linux side it's MythTV. The card is a PVR250 that comes with it's own remote. It takes that remotes signal in the software and passes it along to the irblaster to change the channel when I'm watching live tv, and when it comes time to record, it just sends the signal out to the box to change the channel before it starts recording. The only problems I've ever had with it is when my 2 year old comes along and starts playing the stuff on my computer table. He moves the irblaster sometimes and it won't change the channel.

As for the 111, I'm not that familar with the equipment yet. I just signed up after Katrina knocked out our cable for 2 months, and thats what they used. It seems to work fine for what I need in that room.

the 111 is about a year old...bob might be thinking of the 1000 (which is very old)

It is a basic receiver but gets the job done :)

i am also using SAGe4 and a pvr150 with the IR blaster that it comes with. it controls my dish 301. the only issue i have always had is that it will not tune to a channel that has a zero in it. it will always default to the next channel. it works great for watching and recording though.

bugmenot said:
I know im new and everything, but one thing i would like to do is have some sort of software on my pc that could record from dish throught a PCI card or something. Is that possible with my dish network subscription?

Yes, it is possible but it's beyond the scope of this forum.

There are many options available. I use both ends of the spectrum. A 6000 with the R5000 Mod for recording HD content and an 811 with a USB Capture device within MCE for SD content.

Check out avsforum for more techinical information.

There are a couple of legal solutions to this. I have used the following two methods:

1. Media center PC
2. TV Card (internal and USB)

At the output side of the Satellite Receiver, I split the signal; one goes to the TV and the second goes to the PC. Set the PC to receive the satellite lead on channel 3.

It takes 2 steps to record onto the PC.

1. Set the Satellite receiver to record the program.
2. At the PC, use the Media center software or the software that comes with the card to set the PC to record at the same time(s) as the satellite receiver.

This works great for me!

Enjoy,
Bob

herzzreh said:
Satellite signal theft is illegal and it's not cool to discuss this stuff here.

Dear RIAA, and MPAA,

How is recording a signal that I pay to receive to my own equipment, and store on my own equipment, for my own viewing, in my own house, and do not share with others outside my household, theft?????

Dohhhh, Bart, it's not.

Why do you think that Cable Providers must provide a HD box with a firewire output? Simple, so I can use my own DVR and not get bent over by the cable providers.

The R5000 mod for the 6000 series box allows just that, only over USB.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts