Viewsat Extreme ***groan***

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pappapump

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Oh I hate this box!
I hear a lot of good stuff about it, more mem, faster blind scan etc but the down sides really make me want to take a baseball bat and beat it till its dust.
No realtime signal or quality graph during reposition, it shows yes, but it never tells the truth till i exit the positioner menu.
I can scan 20 degrees in either direction and not a beep, so I move incrementally then exit the motor menu. By doing that I can eventually get a correct reading.
Another thing that blows me away if that usals doesnt work at all on this reciever.
Im starting to suspect my motor now.
With the dish still set to IA-6 93 deg, I removed my Coolsat pro 4000.
I set the new viewsat on the counter connected the coax, set the coordinates for my lat and long. Turn to My TS sat and nothing.
Finally after some tweaking I got a signal.
The plus side is that I get more channels and they come in clearer.
But this is the least user friendly equipment I've seen since the demise of the Cyrix processor.
Where the Coolsat has a real time motor control and a graph thats pretty acurate.
The viewsat stays red even if the quality bar is at 80, then sometime later on, depending on its mood it decides to go green.
I suppose that if youre used to all this FTA stuff, its a pretty cool box.
But to us noobs, (me at least) it's a pain in the butt to set up.
To set your coordinates or even reposition the dish you have to hit one of the colored keys, but with the coolsat you just scroll down to the bottom of the main setup window and reposition on the fly.
This reciever is going back and the new Coolsat 5000 is on the way.
Come to think of it, I better order a new motor and get this one tested.
When I left last evening I set it to blind scan all the satellites that I know I can get at my location. I set all the satellites to usals, 10750, and scanned only the ones I have been seeing so far.
I come back today and the only sats listed as having channels are 93, 95, 91 deg.
Theyre all the same channels with a different name.
I tried another blind scan to see whats wrong and the dish never moved.
As before, I can manually lock in each of my fav sats and it starts moving.
Have I missed a step?

pappapump said:
Oh I hate this box!

Have I missed a step?

Nope, Pretty much sums up my experience with the ViewSat 2000 Platinum as well. I would suggest that if your motor moves, theres nothing wrong with it. Same with your LNB. If your getting something everything is cool.

My experience is that USALS may or may not work at any given instance. In "Installer" mode there are no problems. It moves ( where or how far you get to guess, but it moves )! But in USALS it will not give you any feedback and it may or may not move to where it was told to go on the first ( or third ) attempt.

BlindScan is another story. In my case, it either is not accepting the proper L.O. frequency or something, because it just isn't homing in on the same frequencies as the LyngSat listings would suggest. It may not complete a blindscan either. I've seen it run thru V polarity and then kick out to the previous menu as soon as it goes to H polarity. Not so much as an error message or anything, and it doesn't step thru the freqs. to find channels. When it does find a channel, it reports completely wierd freq and S/Rs. I've seen it scan FTA freqs with near 90% S & Q and say theres nothing there!

I have installed the latest firmware. I'm pretty sure that S/W needs some work based on what does and does not work and how it flakes out on me.

Thats kind of disapointing to hear considering the price of the viewsat. Anyways, you can always use diseq 1.2 to store the positions of the sats. Thats unreal that a qual/signal meter isn't either easily accessable or easy to read/use.

Now do I really want to do this?

sharris said:
Thats kind of disapointing to hear considering the price of the viewsat. Anyways, you can always use diseq 1.2 to store the positions of the sats. Thats unreal that a qual/signal meter isn't either easily accessable or easy to read/use.
I was just about to put up a dedicated dish for the Viewsat Extreme. It is currently sharing my BUD with my 4DTV.

I will say that the manual is the sh*t*. New one is promissed...we shall see! The meter can be gotten to in the installation menu. A pain although something says press more buttons! lots of stuff is well hidden.The quality meter is very jumpy though.

Blind Scan does work well though, or else I NEVER would have gotten anything...instead it was a pleasure, press a button, come back in 10 min and there are channels! Of course alot of the pain was gone once I found the Birds by ther "different" names than ( am used to...Now I have cross reference charts!):D
Now I am not too sure that I should mess what is working! Maybe I will Ebay the LNB and Motor drive (dish is too damn big to mess with! (a 31" winegard...retrieved at a nice price!

Since I am a Noob, I have probably missed something, ( and have nothing to reference!) but I was hoping USALS worked ok.
I am right on the sats with my Bud...just a bit inconvenient! (the polarity thing)
Jeff

Last edited:
This may be nothing mor than a wait for a new firmware release type of deal. Once I diagnosed out all other components of my completely new setup, it became obvious that the STBs S/W was a bit flaky.

Next release will probably make the decision.

I will say that the manual is the sh*t*.
95% of FTA manuals are :)

as cold winter noted, see if a software upgrade will do the trick. I've worked with a few "turds" of receivers and a software upgrade helped it :)

Hopefully

Cold Winter said:
This may be nothing mor than a wait for a new firmware release type of deal. Once I diagnosed out all other components of my completely new setup, it became obvious that the STBs S/W was a bit flaky.

Next release will probably make the decision.

If this is a problem here, I may lose my hair waiting for a firmware update. They did one right after releasing the Extreme and have been promising Updated manuals....still waiting, since they make specific reference to "Motor Controls" being addressed in this new manual!

I presume you did the Dec update of the firmware from their web site? As I said, I sit fat, dunb, and happy with the Extreme using my BUD. I have everything to insta;; the dedicated system, just awaiting weather (improving now) and final resoution of this problem with USALS.

If that is not working, i am probably better off staying on the BUD for a while! It can position the FTA birds right off the 4dtv bird positions. I have only blindscaned 3 birds and cannot begin to view everything up there! Just crossreferencing the 4dtv names with the lyngsat page (by degree placement) has gotten me to about every FTA Sat I want.

I still want to dedicate the dish equipment that is just waiting, having thought about it! After all if their USALS implimentation is messed up, I am sure they have heard about it! If they do not, I will Ebay the extreme and find something else!
Jeff

Amazing, now I have to MAKE TIME for FTA in my viewing schedule! This ontop of my getting off my duff and expanding my BUD subs...I really have begun to use the favorites on the 4dtv to help keep track of stuff.
regards
Jeff

gizzer777 said:
If this is a problem here, I may lose my hair waiting for a firmware update. ...
I presume you did the Dec update of the firmware from their web site?

One of the first things I did was blow in the December "2013" file. Solved a few problems. But not all of them. The stuff that does work is pretty nice. But there are still some issues buried in there somewhere. Just hope they release a Feb2014 or something to that effect real soon.

Near as I can tell, on screen inputs may not x-fer to the appropriate H/W drivers ( motor and maybe LNB ), there may be buffer overrun type problems with the S/W and the motor control S/W may release control back to main menu before the movement is complete ( or return to main menu without completeing the movement ).

Certainly, in "manual" modes there is absolutely no feedback on what the motor is actually doing or what the S/W told the motor to do. "Was that a 0.1 degree pulse or a 10.0 degree pulse train you just sent out" type of issue on the motor menu. If the S/W saves its last position ( say 122.99 degrees ) there is certainly no evidence of that on any menu. There are situations where the buffer overrun type issues seem to appear where it may in fact lose these positions. You end up telling the motor to slew back to its "0" setting and then tell it to move to 123 via the USALS menu.

I agree, BlindScan is very nice when it works. Actually, everything, from a user perspective is very nice on these... when it works.

That thread just answered my question about going with Viewsat or Coolsat.
I will order a Coolsat 5000.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts