Viewsat Ultra. Strong "S", NO "Q" on 97.0 W

Status
Please reply by conversation.

twinbee

Original poster
Oct 30, 2010
Texas
I am an FTA newbie trying to do a first time KU-band. I have experience with C-Band from back in the day.

I have a 33" dish, DGL-780 Standard Linear Single LNB, and a Viewsaty Ultra V2000 receiver that I bought all used. No motors or switches are involved and only a short run of RG-6.

I am trying to pick up Galaxy 19 at 97.0 W with clear LOS from Dallas, TX.

The problem is that I get "S" of 80+, but "Q" is always 00, no matter what transponder I am looking for, or even which satellite. The same goes for 119 W, and 101 W.

I am using both a compass and Android Dish Pointer Pro to verify that I am pointed at those birds. Blind scan when I have high "S" also gives nothing. My inclination angle is 51 deg as was suggested by Dish pointer for Dallas. I have tried a LNB skew of +6 deg and also with no skew.

Here are the Settings I am using:

Sat: Galaxy 19
LNB Type: Standard
TP Freq: 12060 Hz
LNB Freq: 10750 Hz
22 Khz: none
DisEQc: none

What am I doing wrong, or what should I try next? Any help is appreciated.

Sounds like you haven't zeroed in on the satellite yet, if your lnbf and receiver are good. From another old-time c-bander, it is a little different with the ku dishes and digital, harder to find those tiny signals lol. I always use those dishpointer-site coordinates with a grain of salt. You might have to raise or lower the dish a little bit, maybe even more than 1 degree or two. I would start with the suggested elevation setting, pan dish slowly side to side, and ifyou get nothing on the signal quality graph, raise the dish and pan again. Try going up by 2-3degrees and then if nothing is found, start lowering the elevation and pan the dish some more. Takes slow movements, the digital receivers aren't quite as fast at registering signal quality as they might be. I had an Ultra for awhile, it has a signal beep also, I think. If you still get nothing, pick another active transponder from the List, top of page, and try that it. Finding the first signal can be tedious but once you do it, you'll have learned a lot about how the systems work. Try the TP freq for Russia Today-that one is a good strong one. And, Welcome to Satelliteguys!! Keep posting your results, we'll get you going. edit to add : russia today on 97W 12151 H 20000sr

With the transponder frequency set to 12060, I assume you have polarity set to horizontal and symbol rate set to 22000?

How are you setting the elevation angle of your dish? The markings on some dish mounts are off by a few degrees -- some by more than a few degrees.

What I'd suggest is moving the dish in azimuth slowly til you get the highest possible signal level, then moving it VERY slowly in altitude, maybe even just leaving it locked in place and bending it gently, til you get a spike in quality level. I assume that your receiver has a nice responsive signal meter -- I know nothing about the Viewsats.

your settings seem correct....i can only assume its an aiming issue....maybe try selecting different transponders....i would recommend 11898V.....are you skewing/rotating the LNB to its proper angle?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)