VIP 211 Freezes on OTA 2.1 Does not respond to remote

Bob Caruthers

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 28, 2008
Hi all,

For the past few days whenever I select channel 2.1 (ota local PBS) the 211 does not respond to the remote. After awhile, the receiver will re-boot itself and repeatedly re-boot itself. Finally, it will allow me to get to the Guide where I can then change channels.

I went through all of this with DISH and they are sending me a new receiver.

While waiting for the new 211, a second 211 we have in the kitchen began having the same problems. So, now I'm wondering if it has something to do with the local PBS channel 2.1 or the receiver.

Has anyone else experienced this?

tia,
Bob Caruthers

I received a new VIP 211 yesterday.
The same problem persists: the 211 does not respond to the remote when tuned to channel 2.1
When I re-set the receiver from the front, still no response to the remote.
If I leave the television tuned to 2.1 for a while, it will re-boot itself.
After which, still no response to the remote.
DISH is sending a tech tomorrow.

Those 211 receivers always have glitches, I'm a Dish Network Field Technician and I have seen this on some 211 receivers. Now, we did find some software malfunction related to the problem but they would still have other problems before like taking too long to download software or for activation to come in, this is only in some cases in other cases it has worked fine. I would recommend tunning up your installation a little, like re pointing your dish change some connections. In other words ask the technician to bring your installation up to DNS standards and code, if he's a good technician he will have no problem doing it. So, hopefully this will get rid of the problem.

This all started right after the transition to digital.

The DISH tech guys say it has to do with an incompatibility of frequencies between the local PBS station and the DISH receiver.

I'll call and talk to the engineer at the PBS station tomorrow and see what his theory is.

I have two 211s and they both have the same symptom of freezing when channel 2.1 (ota, PBS) is tuned.

I even got a replacement 211 from DISH Friday. It, too, has the same symptoms, so I can only think it is NOT the receiver.

This all started right after the transition to digital.

The DISH tech guys say it has to do with an incompatibility of frequencies between the local PBS station and the DISH receiver.

I'll call and talk to the engineer at the PBS station tomorrow and see what his theory is.

I have two 211s and they both have the same symptom of freezing when channel 2.1 (ota, PBS) is tuned.

I even got a replacement 211 from DISH Friday. It, too, has the same symptoms, so I can only think it is NOT the receiver.

I think that it is more than likely a bug that was introduced with the 524 software update. Several people have reported the problem with different channels, not just PBS. It happened to me while watching the sub channel of our local ABC affiliate. From what I've read on the forums people started reporting the problem right after the last software update. This is not the first time that a software update caused a new problem while trying to fix another.

Hopefully Dish is already working on a fix.

When the NCAA's started today, my 622 automatically added 32.2 (Louisville CBS station sub-channel). System worked fine. When I went to my 211, I had to manually add the channel. When tuning to 32.2, the picture was fine, but then the remote and front panel controls locked up.

I did numerous soft and hard reboots to no avail. Every time the receiver would reboot it would go back to 32.2. Finally, read in another forum to disconnect the OTA cable and reboot. That allowed me to regain the remote and front panel controls. I then simply deleted the 32.2 out of the local channels so this would not happen again.

Will be sending a note to dish about this.

-Mark

Wdman....same here. I used the menu button during reboot, reset to factory defaults, then rescanned the locals. My211k reboots on 032-01, but doesn't lock up the receiver. Guess I'll have to watch the tourney on the 622.

Have you called the station in question?

I have seen corrupt PSIP data to reboot or lockup an OTA tuner.

I just wanted to add another 211 to this list. Ironically enough it was our Philly PBS station (12.1 - WHYY) that caused the problem. Signal broke up, remote froze, finally the 211 rebooted like 3 times before I could get back in.

All of my strong (75+) OTA stations are fine, but it seems to happen on the ones that have a weak/intermittent signal (50-60).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts