VIP 211k keeps powering off

Zamboknee

Jul 7, 2012
Des Moines
Haven't seen a recent post on this so thought I'd give it a try.
I just (2weeks ago) switched from Directv to Dish and my receiver boxes (both of em) are powering off in seemingly the middle of the night.
we got back from a week's vacation and no shows recorded on the TiVo, just 'hit select to power on your reciver' message.
I went into Updates and changed the update interval to 'Disable' but it's still powering down.
both boxes are hooked into the TVs with HDMI AND analog cables into the TiVos.
I made sure the Anynet was disabled on my Samsung but that didn't resolve it.
Do I have 2 bad boxes?
thank you

There is a power saving feature that will shut the receiver off... I have a 722, but believe the 211 has the same option.
Try options ... oh .. I just looked, I see the power saving disable on the same screen... assuming you've disabled that... short of a power disruption.. no idea.
Just to point out.. you can add a hard drive to the 211 and record directly. Won't matter if it's on or off then...
Can you add a power on command to the Tivo???

You should set up an auto-tune on a channel to go off each day. I have done this for years. For example, my ABC channel has a news program that starts every morning at 5AM. I just set it to auto-tune and that will wake up your receiver each day at 5AM until it does its early morning, about 3AM, recycle. This will correct your TIVO difficulties.

robstudio said:
There is a power saving feature that will shut the receiver off... I have a 722, but believe the 211 has the same option.
Try options ... oh .. I just looked, I see the power saving disable on the same screen... assuming you've disabled that... short of a power disruption.. no idea.
Just to point out.. you can add a hard drive to the 211 and record directly. Won't matter if it's on or off then...
Can you add a power on command to the Tivo???

Where do I find 'options?' only see 'preferences'

Bobby said:
You should set up an auto-tune on a channel to go off each day. I have done this for years. For example, my ABC channel has a news program that starts every morning at 5AM. I just set it to auto-tune and that will wake up your receiver each day at 5AM until it does its early morning, about 3AM, recycle. This will correct your TIVO difficulties.

I did THAT too. Lemme double check and get back to you

Sorry to confuse... was flying by the seat without the menu in front of me.
You're in the right spot... options/prefs... the power save is in the same menu screen as update time select... if you have it on 211.
I believe I've read that these do power down no matter what.
Bobby's got the solution for you...

robstudio said:
Sorry to confuse... was flying by the seat without the menu in front of me.
You're in the right spot... options/prefs... the power save is in the same menu screen as update time select... if you have it on 211.
I believe I've read that these do power down no matter what.
Bobby's got the solution for you...

K. I had a 3 am timer set on both of em but the one ALSO had a 5pm timer. Seems the box with two timers did fine but the box with one missed everything.

There are some limitations as to hard drive... The WD mybook drives seem good for the most part...
Rule of thumb.. under 1.5 TB and must be a self powered drive.
Other than that... should be no issue... you may want to look through bug thread report on external drives at top of tech page
Oh and I believe you'll need to activate and pay a one time fee (40 bucks??) .... The DIRT team can help with that.
Well worth it, these work as a full (single tuner) pvr with a hard drive... pause live etc... and of course record in high def...
I just paged DIRT help for you... Be prepared for awesome customer service!!...
Ooops Mary isn't online... sit tight I'm sure someone with the correct billing info will chime in shortly...

Last edited:
Zamboknee said:
K. I had a 3 am timer set on both of em but the one ALSO had a 5pm timer. Seems the box with two timers did fine but the box with one missed everything.

Recievers search for software at night, default is 3 am, they do not.power on again afterwards unless you have a timer set.

Ohhh .. thanks for clarifying that Dishman. Makes sense... I've never tried to disable nor change the time on mine.
If I have nothing scheduled I unplug mine at night. It's on one or 2 nights a week for updates...
These machines do like to be rebooted, be it by update or otherwise.
So best for the original poster to find a workaround regardless...

LouF@DISH Network said:
robstudio said:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-technical-discussions/288150-vip-211k-keeps-powering-off.html

Hi Lou,
Could use your help in this thread regarding external hard drive billing on a 211K
Thanks!
Best, Rob

Rob,
Thanks for asking.
There is a one time charge to add an external hard drive to the following receivers: VIP 211,VIP211k, VIP411.

There is no additional charge to add the external hard drive to the following models: 612, 622, 722, 722k, 922.

If you need additional information or assistance, please feel free to drop me a line.

Zamboknee, if you want to add the hard drive any dirt member can do that online for you. Go to the main forum page.. look for an online DIRT member, their names show in RED, and send them a private message.
Thanks for the info LOUUUUUUUUUUUU !!!!

Haven't seen a recent post on this so thought I'd give it a try.
I just (2weeks ago) switched from Directv to Dish and my receiver boxes (both of em) are powering off in seemingly the middle of the night.
we got back from a week's vacation and no shows recorded on the TiVo, just 'hit select to power on your reciver' message.
I went into Updates and changed the update interval to 'Disable' but it's still powering down.
both boxes are hooked into the TVs with HDMI AND analog cables into the TiVos.
I made sure the Anynet was disabled on my Samsung but that didn't resolve it.
Do I have 2 bad boxes?
thank you

Hi, the nightly updates cannot be disabled. The best work around for this is to set the update for a time that you will not be recording and then set a timer for a half hour later. You will also need to disable the Inactivity Standby on the receiver. if you are still having an issue, please PM me. Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)