VIP 611 Daily Check Lasting 30 Minutes, Still Going

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

slick1ru2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 29, 2004
The South
Now, I have the new software that upgrades it to the same as my VIP622 has with Dish Platinum/internet on demand. But the HD has been spinning for a good half an hour since it started its daily check for new updates. I hesitate to turn it off because I can hear the disc being written to at times. Anyone else have this happen recently?

EDIT: Make that a vip612. Called support, they said unplug it even though you could hear the disc being accessed. Reboot seems to work. And I have L643, the current software. Just a fluke I guess.

Last edited:
I believe it to be a software issue. Over the last week, the 9 day guide as only been two days and I would have to force the guide download on a daily basis. Also, during dvr playback as well as on live tv, when watching, the sound would quit, then the image would freeze and the receiver would reboot. Last night, the receiver had to reboot twice since the receiver would not retrieve the sat signal on the first reboot.

I believe it to be a software issue. Over the last week, the 9 day guide as only been two days and I would have to force the guide download on a daily basis. Also, during dvr playback as well as on live tv, when watching, the sound would quit, then the image would freeze and the receiver would reboot. Last night, the receiver had to reboot twice since the receiver would not retrieve the sat signal on the first reboot.

To me this sounds like your receiver maybe starting to fail. If unplugging the receiver doesn't correct these issues, I would recommend getting your receiver replaced.

But the HD has been spinning for a good half an hour since it started its daily check for new updates. I hesitate to turn it off because I can hear the disc being written to at times. Anyone else have this happen recently?
I assume you have EHD connected and powered. This causes the DVR to do a file system check before allowing the reboot. Only the EHD is read and may be interrupted by pulling the USB and then the power. This can take over an hour for a full 2TB EHD, less for smaller sizes or only partially filled. Remove the power or the USB when shutting down--clearly a problem if you are unloading to/from the EHD. Consider that.
-Ken

I assume you have EHD connected and powered. This causes the DVR to do a file system check before allowing the reboot. Only the EHD is read and may be interrupted by pulling the USB and then the power. This can take over an hour for a full 2TB EHD, less for smaller sizes or only partially filled. Remove the power or the USB when shutting down--clearly a problem if you are unloading to/from the EHD. Consider that.
-Ken

Yep! I try to keep my EHDs unpowered for this very reason.

Ed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)