VIP 612 DVR - not Energy Star

jcerm

Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
Woodridge
Recently subscribed with Dish Network and happy with the HD picture quality. After learning as much as possible with the new VIP612 DVR features and functions I was a little disappointed the receiver is not, I believe, Energy Star rated. The User's Guide states the Inactivity Standby feature turns off the receiver. This seems to only turn off the power indicator lights on the front of the unit and it saves 1 watt of power. I found this out by plugging the receiver into a Kill-A-Watt meter. To my surprise when the receiver was powered on it was using 44 Watts and when in standby mode (power indicator lights- front of receiver OFF) the unit was using 43 Watts. Yes, only 1 watt difference. It seems to me the User Guide is not telling the truth:(. So this tells me what a waste of power and higher electric costs over a year. Not good for new electronics in these "go green" times. Can anyone else verify this with their receivers?

Very Interesting.

I do not think the box completely turns off the hard drive during standby. Most of time, even in standby 612 downloads VOD movies from the satellite. Which means the hard drive is on, the tuners are on.

I was told once by some one that each DVR uses more than 5$ of electricity per month.

It's not a lot of money a month or year but according to my electric company rate it comes out to about $38.00/yr. My 52" Samsung TV using around 200 watts when on, but about 2-3 watts in standby(off). Bit it doesn't have a hard drive. The Kill-A-Watt meter is a nice device and when I first got it I was running around all over the house seeing where I can cut costs. I have two PCs and they each run about 70-75 watts powered on, but when in sleep mode only 3 watts. What a savings.

Recently subscribed with Dish Network and happy with the HD picture quality. After learning as much as possible with the new VIP612 DVR features and functions I was a little disappointed the receiver is not, I believe, Energy Star rated. The User's Guide states the Inactivity Standby feature turns off the receiver. This seems to only turn off the power indicator lights on the front of the unit and it saves 1 watt of power. I found this out by plugging the receiver into a Kill-A-Watt meter. To my surprise when the receiver was powered on it was using 44 Watts and when in standby mode (power indicator lights- front of receiver OFF) the unit was using 43 Watts. Yes, only 1 watt difference. It seems to me the User Guide is not telling the truth:(. So this tells me what a waste of power and higher electric costs over a year. Not good for new electronics in these "go green" times. Can anyone else verify this with their receivers?

Jcerm,

Dish receivers generally power the LNBF, they need to be able to download the guide Data when needed as well. If you have a DVR it has to be ready to record when needed.

This requires the LNBF be powered up all the time. All DBS receivers DirecTV and Dish Network has virtually the same amount of power whether powered "UP" or in standby, this is the case with almost all DVR Cable boxes as well.

John

Jcerm,

This requires the LNBF be powered up all the time. All DBS receivers DirecTV and Dish Network has virtually the same amount of power whether powered "UP" or in standby, this is the case with almost all DVR Cable boxes as well.

John
So if you want any DVR (Cable/ Satellite) you will pay for it.

Conservation is only half the equation. I you really intend to turn green, you need to also create energy and reduce your grid presence. 44 watts is fairly low so you could use solar collection or human powered generator to charge a battery to power your receiver.

It's all about the refrigerators, washing machines, Dryers, Central Air and Heat, poor windows (should be double paned Low E rating), insulation, water heaters (should use tankless water heaters) heating water all day for no one to use, Dishwashers and weather striping. Now your are talking massive reduction in energy. I don't think most people are willing to wash by hand and give up other appliances and comforts all for energy savings. So we are doomed.

Quite frankly, your HDTV is a more serious energy hog than any of Dish's boxes. And BTW, which cable boxes or Direct TV boxes are Energy Star. Somehow, I don't think you will get rid of your HDTV, although if you are serious about energy saving, you should get rid of your HDTV, appliances, et al. Penny wise, pound foolish.

I guess I'm a little surprised at the tone of the last two posts. I was only bringing up a point that I noticed. I'm very aware of what devices are really energy hogs and by changing my "grid presence" is kind of ridiculous. I could just plug everything in a power strip and when I don't want to watch TV just flip the switch and there would be "zero" wattage. Better yet I could put the receiver on a timer, set for 3 a.m. so it will download the latest Program Guide and Dish on Demand programs.
Also I don't have my HDTV powered on 24/7 and the house is very well insulated.
I mentioned about the Dish Network VIP612 User manual is not telling the truth. Here's the quote right from the manual "the Inactivity Standby feature turns off the receiver". I know it turns off the front panel lights saving 1 watt of power, but can anyone tell me what else it turns off? Maybe DishSubLA (SatelliteGuys Senior) you tell me? The technical writers or satellite engineers are not telling me the truth.
The receivers are really small PCs, and hopefully will become totally solid state. No hard drives.
Eventually receiver power consumption will be reduced but if it's not brought to anyone's attention nothing's going to happen.
Again it's not the small cost of $38.00/yr that this device is costing me for electric but it's deceiving to me to say the receiver turns off. It's power is reduced only 1 watt from 44 watts to 43 watts.

All satellite and cable boxes do this. I don't particularly like the fact but it's something I can live with.

The sooner we burn up all the Arab oil the sooner we can drill and produce our own plentiful reserves. :D

If this a genuine concern, then the solution is to purge your house of all satellite and AV equipment. Then you don't have to worry about the power they consume!

Once SSD drives reach sufficient capacities, the power consumption of DVRs will drop dramatically. I expect we'll start to see SSD DVRs in 2-4 years, depending on how the economy recovers.

Ted

Good post and thank you for the information. I always wanted to know how much energy these receivers were using while on "standby mode". I have 3 HD-DVRs so that's around $10.00 a month extra in energy cost just to watch TV.

Actually this info is for the 612, the 622/722 receivers use 60 Watts.

The old DishPlayer 7x00 would spin down the drive when not needed. This feature should be added to the newer DVRs and would save a little amount of power.

My 501 spins up and down and up and down some times 6X/hour! All while "off".

I commiserate with the OP on the crappy/misleading language in our manuals. It should say "standby mode" rather than "off".

And oh BTW my latest TV is a white Vizio ECO 32" model. If memory serves, it consumes 88 watts when on, and only 4 watts when in standby.

Good post and thank you for the information. I always wanted to know how much energy these receivers were using while on "standby mode". I have 3 HD-DVRs so that's around $10.00 a month extra in energy cost just to watch TV.

Actually this info is for the 612, the 622/722 receivers use 60 Watts.

Oh man, u r killing me with this info....

No wonder why electric creeped upto $500-600 a month in last few years...
I have been trying to use power strip killing method to stop waste on stand by's but with dish boxes, they have to be ON to stay functioned (DVR or no DVR) otherwise receiver spend enough time to acquire signal & DL EPG that u rather waste energy.

Just because I can afford waste of energy doesn't I should continue it or encourage it. If you disagree....well go outside and start ur Dodge RAM and leave it on until Jim5506 says so

Why so much?

No wonder why electric creeped up to $500-600 a month in last few years...

Are you heating your home with electricity? Do you have a swimming pool? Otherwise, I can't imagine paying that much a month for electricity. FYI: I pay on average $125 per month electric for large home with lots of appliances being used--including 4 HD DVRs and six HD TVs.:confused:

Don't forget that if it is cold (winter) in your area that the electric that is used by the receiver is put out as heat at close to 100% efficiency. That means you are saving on your heating bill by letting the receiver run 24/7. All of the energy used is not just being lost.

Don't forget that if it is cold (winter) in your area that the electric that is used by the receiver is put out as heat at close to 100% efficiency. That means you are saving on your heating bill by letting the receiver run 24/7. All of the energy used is not just being lost.

Good point. Just like my desk-top PC, printer, and network are always helping to heat the house 24/7.:up

I am referring to the internal hard drive inside the 612. The question is whether the internal hard drive is spinned down or not?

My assumption is NOT all the time. 612 downloads the VOD movies (ch. 501) when inactive. But during this time, the LNBF's are powered and hard drive is downloading content.

I can think of only the outputs (HDMI...) turned off, which may corresponds to 1W decrease in usage.

The issue here (I am also waiting for an answer :mad:) is whether the hard drive and LNBF's are turned off when there are no more VOD's to download.

Probably you should ask this question during tech chat.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)