VIP 612 DVR - not Energy Star

No they do not turn off. LNBs take a bit of time to heat up and stabilize when cold. If the HD spun down, when you turned it on to watch TV it could take 15 seconds of more for it to spin up and everything settle it.

Whether or not you are watching the DVR, it is still active and doing things.

Neither the Dish DVR's not any TiVo I have seen really have a shut off.

My Tivos even buffer live TV 24/7/365.

They don't even have a stand-by mode.

Only my Panasonic Showstopper 2000 (Replay TV) really shuts down when turned "off" and I have to wait about 30 seconds after I turn it on for the drive to spin up and the OS to load.

Oh, by the way, you can shut off your Dodge RAM, its keeping my dog awake.

This thread is really useful. I was wondering if I should be powering down my DVR when not in use. But since I am only saving 1 watt, I will just leave it running 24/7.

A couple of comments:

1) I think it's absurd how much energy the Vip722 uses. With a kill-a-watt device, I measured a pretty steady draw of 50 watts, even in standby. Not only does this extra energy draw cost money, but it generates a lot of heat which means my AC has to work harder to cool the house - so it's a double energy waste. I probably watch 10 hours or less of TV a week, and find it absurd that my DVR has to run constantly the other 158 hours.

2) I'm no expert, but my HTPC can go into sleep mode where it draws 2-3 watts and has no problem waking up to record a show using media center. Given that windows can do this, it seems like a well designed DVR should be able to do this as well.

3) For those posters who responded with the "why don't you just get rid of all your AV equipment if you want to save energy" argument, thanks for nothing. It's absurd to argue that being green means giving up all energy consuming devices that one owns. That would be like arguing that one doesn't care about their fellow humans if they don't give every last bit of their wealth to charity. IF the market asks for more energy efficient products engineers will look for ways to build them.

Why not just buy/use different devices that consume less energy if you want to be 'green'? Then you will be doing your part to direct the market.

I can save much more energy than my Sat Receiver uses, by doing smart things around my home. The technology across the board for DVR's requires the device to be using more power than say a computer that is in sleep mode. Unless you want to wait 2 minutes for your receiver to boot up EVERY time you want to start watching it. The market push is for quick 'on-time' and quick recording, well over a minimum energy use.

electric consumption

gentleman in this day and age where tech is the only way to go you pay for what you buy. i have five hdtv and four 612 dvrs, 4 laptops and 2 desk tops which are always on. our microwave and toaster oven uses more power than all the others combined. i only pay 225.00 per month to fpl. and i have gas for cooking heating generator and dryer for 30.00 a month. to lower your bill u need to have gas and electric or your goning to pay a lot more. that is my two cents. alswo my air is on 24/7 even in the winter.

gentleman in this day and age where tech is the only way to go you pay for what you buy. i have five hdtv and four 612 dvrs, 4 laptops and 2 desk tops which are always on. our microwave and toaster oven uses more power than all the others combined. i only pay 225.00 per month to fpl. and i have gas for cooking heating generator and dryer for 30.00 a month. to lower your bill u need to have gas and electric or your goning to pay a lot more. that is my two cents. alswo my air is on 24/7 even in the winter.
Boy you differently don't live in NY.:eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)