VIP 612 HDMI sucks

It is refreashing to see that I'm not alone with this. I have had two ViP612 receivers since I upgraded a week ago, not happy with the customer service with DISH, they said that they have not heard of any problems concerning freeze up, funny(NO). Anyone know what might be the fix for this? Rabbit ears maybe?
Is this over HDMI or have you tried component also?

Yes, I know, and it doesn't want to talk with his dvr without choking. He is working with the techs and hopefully they can figure out if it is the dvr or the tv that has the issue.

NCTED posted that he was also having issues and his is not one of a HDMI handshake but a colorspace/calibration issue specific to a particular Samsung HDMI implementation.

It's a thread with a subthread running in it.

If anyone else has the problem that I have, it appears that Samsung has released a firmware fix which addresses most of these issues:

OFFICIAL Samsung LN-S4095/4695/4096/4696 Owners Thread - Page 69 - AVS Forum

Thanks again for your help.

Ted

vip 612 sucks period

Replaced two Vip211 with two vip612, 1 with hdmi the other component, the TV with the hdmi would greet me with snow every morning after working fine the previous day needing a restart, same checksum errors, block 1 ok, block2-9 failed. The tv with component worked fine, switched tv with hdmi to component and no more snow. The old vip211s were connected with hdmi and i never had a problem. Conclusion: blame dish hardware/ software, dont let CS tell you its your tv, and the tittle of this thread is true VIP 612 HDMI sucks. By the way the vip612 freezes like Vista running on a pentium 3, make your selection and give it a second before you ask it to do something else or it will reward you with a lock up, in need of a restart. Since this gem just came out I would imagine that the customer complaints have just begun. yeah my Tv hdmi does not complete the "handshake" with the receiver because the vip612 has crap all over its hand and my tvs dont like it. 1 panasonic 1 LG

It is refreashing to see that I'm not alone with this. I have had two ViP612 receivers since I upgraded a week ago, not happy with the customer service with DISH, they said that they have not heard of any problems concerning freeze up, funny(NO). Anyone know what might be the fix for this? Rabbit ears maybe?

Like I stated above, I have found if your having problems with the 612 freezing up and your connecting to your TV via HDMI, switch to component video and it may resolve your problems, as it did in my case. I too found after speaking with Dish as of LAST NIGHT that they claimed not to have any record of 612 units locking up in their trouble call system, and said that they would be listing the HDMI issue I brought up with them last night as the first they had heard of such a problem. Once again inner-office communications SUCK at E*!

Hope this helps!

"yeah my Tv hdmi does not complete the "handshake" with the receiver because the vip612 has crap all over its hand and my tvs dont like it."

I like that! ;) After testing my Panasonic DVD recorder with HDMI connection and it INSTANTLY showing up on my Sony HDTV's input list as an HDMI Control device, I feel Sony may be out of the woods, but I will contact Sony technical support today to try and iron out any bugs that might be in the system. Then my full fury will be unleashed upon Dish!!!!! ;)

Like I stated above, I have found if your having problems with the 612 freezing up and your connecting to your TV via HDMI, switch to component video and it may resolve your problems, as it did in my case. I too found after speaking with Dish as of LAST NIGHT that they claimed not to have any record of 612 units locking up in their trouble call system, and said that they would be listing the HDMI issue I brought up with them last night as the first they had heard of such a problem. Once again inner-office communications SUCK at E*!

Hope this helps!

Funny, I called them nine days ago with the freeze up problem on my first 612 and was told I was not the first one to call with this problem. I had only had the reciever for thirty hours. They sent me a replacment last week which after installed did not freeze quite as often but was still freezing up occasionally. After reading this thread I switched from HDMI to component and have not had a problem since. I was hooked up HDMI to a LG 42" Plasma.

Last edited:
All of the above is good info I was ready to get a 612 to replace a 211, from what I am reading the 612 has the same issues as the 222 and I sure don't want to go through that again

Bob

Good find Ted! I stopped reading that thread after page 55. My eyes were tired...

No Joy. HDMI from the 722 still looks washed out, and no amount of calibration seems to fix the problem completely. On the plus side, I now get 1:1 pixel mapping and 1080p24, so my Blu-Ray movies will look even better.

Ted

Funny, I called them nine days ago with the freeze up problem on my first 612 and was told I was not the first one to call with this problem. I had only had the reciever for thirty hours. They sent me a replacment last week which after installed did not freeze quite as often but was still freezing up occasionally. After reading this thread I switched from HDMI to component and have not had a problem since. I was hooked up HDMI to a LG 42" Plasma.

I don't get what's going on at Dish! I think it's time I spoke with an engineer during normal business hours because all these tech people are just reading out of manuals on 'basic' troubleshooting, if not directly from user manuals! I did get in touch with Sony today, but like I posted above I was able to get other devices to sync and make proper 'handshake' through HDMI on my Sony TV so I was really just going through the motions and the Sony tech agreed from what I was telling her that it really seemed like the 612 was to blame!

I also wiggled the HDMI cable, held it in every direction trying to see if the signal would improve during my 612 HDMI diagnostic but If I disconnect it and switch to component mode the HDMI info disappears, and when I reconnect HDMI in component mode I see the information come back so I'm getting SOMETHING, just not enough. AND I BLAME YOU DISH!!!!! Is that melodramatic enough? ;) Anyway E* will be hearing back from me once again and like I said I'm lookin' fer tha sucker that coded n' slapped er tagether this time 'round! No more hokey-pokeyin' bull$hit!!!

No Joy. HDMI from the 722 still looks washed out, and no amount of calibration seems to fix the problem completely. On the plus side, I now get 1:1 pixel mapping and 1080p24, so my Blu-Ray movies will look even better.

Ted
Weird... Hopefully Dish will add the ability to select expanded rgb and alternate color spaces in the future. At least you got something out of all this! :)

I don't get what's going on at Dish! I think it's time I spoke with an engineer during normal business hours...
Well, I believe you have done all you can do to eliminate your set and the cable from the problem. You will need to send your HDMI test results to an engineer to get anywhere and hopefully they will create a new update to fix your handshake problem. See if you can get into a professional discussion with an engineer that will work with you on it and stay in touch. Its the best hope that you and others with this problem will get it solved. HDMI is a strange brew that can really be a problem when diferent implementations of the same standards clash with each other. Its kind of like England and the US both speaking English. Same words, different meaning. Keep us informed! :)

What receiver are you using? Are you using HDMI Control to switch TV and Receiver Off/On and theatre Mode?

HDMI on my SXRD and DAV-HDX500 look great but when I plug in the 722 handshake goes away. Otherwse HDMI is fine.

Hi, I have noticed that alot of people are having problems with their 612 Dvrs like me. I have to reboot mine up to 10 times a day, So pretty much my T.V. watching is controled by what my 612 DVR wants to do that day. I have called Dish Network so many times in the last month I lost count. Their customer service is the worst I have ever come across. The most I have gotten was a 50 dollar credit on my bill. And I know that is only because I bug them so often. I have asked if they don't find a software fix soon will they replace my 612 with a DVR that doesn't freeze up all the time. And they said that the engineers decide that and they aren't going to do that just yet. I am not as knowledgeable as some of you seem to be on issues like this so I really don't know what to say to Dish to get this fixed. I just know that I have read all of your posts on this issue and was wondering has
Dish finally solved your 612 DVR issue or are you still trying to get them to. Would love to know what anyone did to either get a different DVR or get the 612 software issue fixed.. Thanks for taking the time to read this rambling of mine. It just frustrates me because I have been a customer of Dish for over 12 years and they treat us like crap. I even had one tech guy switch me over to the Spanish channel on the phone when I asked to speak to his supervisor. Cute huh.... Thanks again.. Can't wait to hear what happened.

We just purchased a Samsung TV last week (LN40A550P3F) and upgraded to a 612 receiver a couple of days ago. Problem is "no signal" when trying to turn the TV back on.

Seems like a handshake problem to me. Disconn/Reconn the cable will usually work until the TV is turned off or we switch to another source (DVD player). Can't switch back without reseating the cable. Tried another HDMI cable (went from a Philips "gold" cable to a Monster) - no difference. Took the Monster back - way too expensive but wanted to try for troubleshooting. Switched to Component last night. Seems to be working fine but it's bugging me because this is the most we've spent by far on a TV and here we are with Component cables.

Sent email earlier today to both Samsung and Dish. Waiting to hear where to go from here.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)