ViP 612 Locking Up

ontwowheels

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2008
New Dish subscriber here. Had service installed last Sunday (2 days ago), the 612 locked up twice that evening and once yesterday evening. Locked up to the point where the only option was to hold down the power unit on the remote to do a hard reset.

Is this common?

I will be contacting Dish shortly but was hoping to get some input as well.

THANKS

VIP 612 restarts every 10 minutes

My VIP 612 restarts every 10 minutes on certain days. Can't detect a pattern.

Have got 4 receivers replaced, but no solution. Obviously, the solution is not replacing receivers. When I called Dish Network Quality Assurance Services (not customer support), the recommendation was to request customer support to send me a different model.

There definitely is some issue with 612. Just not sure what it is.

Is it perception or are today's receivers a POS compared to legacy receivers? I'm still using a 3700 that's given me zero problems, and bought a 501 almost 4 yrs ago and it's been equally as solid. Had a 1000 for years before that and no issue. Just makes me wonder.

I had two things happen, my 612 was replaced with a new one and the tech repeaked the dish, which was off badly. That was three weeks ago I think, not one lock up or issue with the 612 since.

I got a 612 installed 2 weeks ago. The first one was dead out of the box. The second seemed to work OK at first, then my wife noticed that about every 5 to 10 minutes the picture would freeze just for a half second or so. Using the skip back would not recreate the freeze. She also said that it would lose signal several times a day and go to the acquiring satellite screen (which takes a long time in itself). On top of that the fan is kind of loud for a bedroom environment. I have a tech coming out tomorrow with 3 new boxes, but I am not holding out a lot of hope after reading the experiences of others here. I may need to get it swapped for another model. By comparison the 622 in the living room works great!

Dish vs ATT U-verse

Will This Work with a 222?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts