VIP-622 + 4HD Streams = Stuttering

jrfuda

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 27, 2004
San Antonio, TX, USA
Last night we were recording 3 HD (1 OTA Local + 2 SAT HD Locals) channels while watching a 4th (actually one of the 2 SAT HD that was being recorded, via the DVr, becuase it was being recorded on tuner 2).

The results were not very good. There were a lot of audio and video hiccups. I wonder if it is related to 3.57, as I think we've done the same once in the past (though all 4 "streams" may not have been HD, it might have been a mix of HD and SD) and never had a problem.

So, is it possible that 4 simultaneous streams was either maxing out the HDD bandwidth or the processing power of the 622, or is this a bug introduced by the 357 upgrade?

An, by the way, during the viewing of this DVR'd HD material, two of the 3 recordings finished recording, yet the hiccups persisted, so to me this means the recording was affected by the 4 simu-streams, since playback was still shakey after 2 of the streams stopped.

There's also a chance that there was a problem with the broadcast. I guess I'll find out when I watch the other two recordings.

... just read a few threads about stuttering on SAT HD Locals.... since I just got 'em last week, maybe that's the stuttering I saw (had been watching all HD Locals OTA prior to then) since I was watching my FOX HD local via sat when I had the problem...

If it didn't get better when the recording finished perhaps it wasn't a HDD bandwidth issue.

Maybe low on memory requiring a reboot.

By the way, worst case for the 622 is gonna be 5 HD streams... What you had + TV2 watching a different HD recording (downrezzed).

David_Levin said:
By the way, worst case for the 622 is gonna be 5 HD streams... What you had + TV2 watching a different HD recording (downrezzed).
Yes.. Has anyone tried that yet with 5 HD streams? Lst night was my first experience with 4 HD... I used to do 4 (2 watch/ 2 record) routinely with my old 522, but that's apple and oranges as far as bandwidth goes.

You know, from a processor memory perspective, the 622 is doing quite a bit of work. I know my PC would be taxed just recording or playing 1 HD stream (unless it had very good hardware that handled that for it), so you've got to hand it to Echostar for making abox that can handle 5 streams at once (in theory, asnyway, I hope someone chimes in and sys they've done it). Maybe I'll test it myself on a slow-TV night.

It's that crappy software on the 622 (l3.57 only touched agile output)...

Can't figure out rhyme or reason, i've maxed out the HD recording / viewing on my 622 no problems, other times i've been recording on tuner 2 (SD) and flipping channels and then video stutter begins (HD and SD), and only goes away if i skipback / pause (building a buffer) or doing the reboot which is usually not an option when i'm recording something.

I strongly think it's a buffer overflow / memory issue, because rebooting the 622 fixes it!

What we all need is a *real* software update from DISH for the 622!

Recording 2 SAt & one OTA while watching a different previously recorded show

I noticed the same thing. every now and then a quick audio blip. They were short term and I could enjoy the programing in spite of them. Maybe 2-3 in an hour's programing.

I have low reception quality ever since dish forced me to give up 61.5 for 129 when I upgraded to 622. I also had to get a DISh 1000. I would have prefered a third 500 so each could be peaked for each sat.

To get back on subject I thought this was caused by a weak reception of the signal. It woud be nice if it could be fixed by a software upgrade.

I am still amazed by the ability to get 3 network HDTV shows at once. Now if only we could add memory. :cool:

Wade

Stuttering

I am getting this problem on one HD local channel, but it is happening on both my 622 and my 211. I have both connected with HDMI cables and optical out to the receivers. The stuttering occur on both .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)