VIP 622 going upstairs

macribas

Original poster
May 27, 2008
Hi!

This forum is really valuable, keep up the good work!

For over a year I had the VIP 622 downstairs with an HD TV (HDMI), and an SD TV upstairs.

Now I bought a larger HD TV for upstairs, and I would like to take the VIP 622 upstairs to be able to use HD with it. I don't mind having only SD downstairs because I hardly use that TV.

Therefore what I want to do is invert the setup. Right now I have HD downstairs and SD upstairs. I want to have HD upstairs and SD downstairs. The problem is that the wiring was done to support the DVR downstairs and simply moving the DVR upstairs didn't work.

How much work is it to move the DVR upstairs? Is there too much wiring work? Is it something I can just re-do the connections?

Can anyone please help?

Thanks
Marcel

It really depends on how the tech installed it. There are too many different ways to hook up a dual tuner to know for sure how to swap the two feeds. Please give us a little more info (such as what wires/diplexers/separators you see behind the receiver, as well as if there are other receivers in the house.

Sure thing, thanks for the reply.

There is only one cable coming out of the wall. That goes into a Power Inserter (DPP44). From the Power inserter this cable goes to a Diplexer (D-2100LX), and from there there are two outputs, Sat and TV.

The Sat output cable goes into a Separator that has two outputs, Satellite 1 and 2, and these two are connected to the two inputs Satellite 1 and 2 in the back of the receiver.

The TV output from the Diplexer goes straight into the receiver in the Home Distribution input.

I hope this clears a little bit, sorry I don't have how to draw a diagram of that.

Thanks,
Marcel

Am I posting in the wrong section of the forum?

Didn't get many replies... I am guessing I posted in the wrong section of the forum...

Marcel

That's a simple fix. There's 2 diplexers, 1 behind the receiver which you saw and there's another one probably out by the dish or junction box. Just switch the In/out cable and UHF/VHF around on the second diplexor. The In/out port goes to the receiver and the UHF/VHF goes to tv2.

Sure thing, thanks for the reply.

There is only one cable coming out of the wall. That goes into a Power Inserter (DPP44). From the Power inserter this cable goes to a Diplexer (D-2100LX), and from there there are two outputs, Sat and TV.

The Sat output cable goes into a Separator that has two outputs, Satellite 1 and 2, and these two are connected to the two inputs Satellite 1 and 2 in the back of the receiver.

The TV output from the Diplexer goes straight into the receiver in the Home Distribution input.

I hope this clears a little bit, sorry I don't have how to draw a diagram of that.

Thanks,
Marcel

1- for the DVR, you just want the EXACT same setup when you take it upstairs, i.e., keep track of the port that a cable goes to if you disconnect.

2- hook your downstairs cable straight into the TV and tune to the appropriate TV2 channel

3- diplexers work in pairs. If you can find the other diplexer, you should just simply have to swap the cables hooked into the "in/out" port and the "vhf/uhf" port. DO NOT disconnect the cable hooked to the "Sat" port. (p.s. -just like kilon said as i was taking 10 minutes to post this while watching the ball game.)

This should bring it right in for you.

Thanks guys!

Thanks for the answer! Will give it a shot and let you know.
Need to find the dish box somewhere in the roof, right?
And along with it should be the other diplexer?

Thanks!
Marcel

Another alternative is to get an cat5 HDMI extender, then just run 2 cat5 cables (some do it with just 1) to the second TV. That way you could watch using component on the downstairs TV and use HDMI on the upstairs one. I share one of my 622s with one on HDMI and one on component.

Thanks for the answer! Will give it a shot and let you know.
Need to find the dish box somewhere in the roof, right?
And along with it should be the other diplexer?

Thanks!
Marcel

No, it should never be on the roof unless the installer was a hack. If you have a newer home with all the cables going to a junction box in, say, a closet, that should be where the diplexer. If all the connections go directly to a utility can outside, look for it there. If the installer ran new cables outside your home through wall penetrations, look for where all the cables converge, or just follow them. If he ran them all into the attic and wall fished, the diplexer should be in the attic. Since you mentioned a power inserter, you probably have a DPP44 switch. DO NOT TOUCH IT. Bring the power inserter along with the receiver and hook it up exactly the way it was downstairs. Hope this helps.

Even ruined my drywall...

Hey, I found out that the big box from Dish is in the attic. In the process I ended up stepping where I shouldn't and almost fell through the ceiling... I am so stupid!
Anyway, there are four cables arriving in this box, from the dish antennas, and only one cable leaving, from the output that says "To Power Inserter". I followed that cable until it disappeared in the wall. Found no diplexer... is it maybe within the wall?

Thanks!
Marcel

I think I'm getting old...

Finally found the diplexer. It was in the distribution box in my wife's closet. :/

Switched the cables per your directions and was able to get the receiver working upstairs.

Just one more thing... where I installed the receiver there's no phone jack, so this morning when I powered it up, it complained, saying it needs to be constantly connected to avoid extra charges.

Is this really the case, have you ever been charged for that? What are the implications of not having this connection?

Well, I will search the forums about it, there are probably tons of topics about this connection.

Thanks,
Marcel

Finally found the diplexer. It was in the distribution box in my wife's closet. :/

Switched the cables per your directions and was able to get the receiver working upstairs.

Just one more thing... where I installed the receiver there's no phone jack, so this morning when I powered it up, it complained, saying it needs to be constantly connected to avoid extra charges.

Is this really the case, have you ever been charged for that? What are the implications of not having this connection?

Well, I will search the forums about it, there are probably tons of topics about this connection.

Thanks,
Marcel

Great! I'm glad you found it. As far as the phone line goes, they will eventually catch up with you on it, but it can take months. My recomendation is to get a wireless phone jack, like Phonex or another brand. You can generally find these at places like Wal-Mart, Target, Best Buy, Ebay etc. They work by using the electrical system in your house as means of extending the telephone jack from where you have a phone outlet to where you don't.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts