ViP 622 MAC Address?

HDinTX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 6, 2005
Is there a MAC address associated with the ethernet port on the ViP 622?

My ViP's have not requested an IP address via DHCP at this point. Any network types put a LAN analyzer on a ViP model to see if they send any packets when they're plugged in?

My ViP's have not requested an IP address via DHCP at this point. Any network types put a LAN analyzer on a ViP model to see if they send any packets when they're plugged in?

When (if) activated, you will have an additional screen in the setup menu to request DHCP or assign it an IP as not all systems will work with DHCP.

At this point, it works as well as the firewire port on the 921 :)

While I've been working / living in the world of computers for over 20 years, I have learned never to assume I know anything. In connecting my 622, it has the ability to make its connection known as the router lights up for the port it's connected to. Beyond that, my sniffer sees no communications at all. It doesn't try to find a DHCP server, nor does it try to assert and address of its own. It just has power on the link to light up the router connection and that's it. If it's trying to do anything else, it's very good at stealth. I'm looking for violated cows, anal probe with my name one it and the return of stupid pet tricks on David Letterman, but so far nothing! :(

While I've been working / living in the world of computers for over 20 years, I have learned never to assume I know anything. In connecting my 622, it has the ability to make its connection known as the router lights up for the port it's connected to.
The router lights up to indicate there's a physical connection, i.e. continuity. It means nothing more...

And what you mean 'sniffer' ? What kind of 'router' you have ? If it manageble switch/hub in reality - ask for ARP cash table; same for real router.

A packet sniffer allows you to monitor all network activity accross your network. Want to know what your kid is up to? What they are IM'ing? What they are browsing? A packet sniffer will allow you to monitor all that activity. There are even programs that reconstruct a website just from the packets that you get from the sniffing program. When he says router he probably just means a basic gateway/switch combo.

A packet sniffer allows you to monitor all network activity accross your network. Want to know what your kid is up to? What they are IM'ing? What they are browsing? A packet sniffer will allow you to monitor all that activity. There are even programs that reconstruct a website just from the packets that you get from the sniffing program. When he says router he probably just means a basic gateway/switch combo.

I am 100% sure P Smith knows what a packet sniffer is

And what you mean 'sniffer' ? What kind of 'router' you have ? If it manageble switch/hub in reality - ask for ARP cash table; same for real router.

Please, it's a cache table. Cash is money, cache is short term storage :)

Sniffer is a term for a device that looks at packets on the network. This can be a standalone device or a program like ethereal or snoop.

For someone that knows about ARP "cash tables" and manageable switches and hubs I'm surprised you don't know what a packet sniffer is.

Cheers,

Actually, each end node network device must have a label with MAC address.

Tell that to Sun Microsystems. They have shipped literally millions of machines without the "must have" label with the MAC address.

It's available via firmware, but it isn't on a label on the machine.

The router lights up to indicate there's a physical connection, i.e. continuity. It means nothing more...

To get link, voltage has to be asserted on the TX/RX pair by the port; so the port is physically there. That covers the physical layer.

The device driver which brings up layers 2-5 (including MAC, IP, TCP) is not fired off.

Cheers,

You can ask, but my CCNA,MCSE,etc I left in a past - changed to 'plumbing' kind of job :D.

Ok, you passed a test; but passing that test doesn't equate to actual skills or knowledge. There are many paper MCSE and CCNAs out there.

When I'm interviewing people for Unix SA jobs I always ask them a simple question related to system administration to gauge their knowledge and how well they can think on their feet. I've had people with no formal training do better than people with Masters degrees in Computer Science on the simple question.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts