VIP 722 and Harmony 880?

g8rgrad98

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2009
Florida
Hello all, new DISH customer here!

I had Dish installed yesterday and reprogrammed my 880 for the VIP 722. A few features I can't seem to find in there....

First and foremost, the DVR....I can't find this anywhere in the 880's menus or shortcuts. Can I program that? On the packaged remote, it's a nice big easy to find button.....

Second, page up and page down, can those be added?

And last, ffwd and rew 30 seconds in DVR, can those be added?

Thanks all! :hungry:

the ffwrd and rev should be the ffwrd and rev on the 880. page up and down are the big arrow keys under the select button. sounds like you don't have it set-up right. i have this remote and everything worked right when i set it up. i do use the menu button as my dvr button and move the menu button up to the soft keys.

This happened to me. You need to logitech tech support. They will set it up correctly.

Thanks! I'll call them this afternoon. Sounds like my setup is snafu'd like yours was. Several functions are missing off, these 3 being the most important!!!

Only 1 day in, but so far, very happy to ditch Cox for Dish, esp with the $100/mo it's going to save me!:music

I have the DVR set on the screen, page #1, page up and down are on those two arrow buttons below the "Ok" and down buttons, the skip 30 seconds is on the "Skip" button, and back 10 seconds is on the "replay' button.
Dan

I lost some of my volume controls recently after reprogramming when my AV receiver died. I went to the customize settings screen on the logitech website and was easily able to make sure everything was correctly assigned.

It should not have to learn it. It should be there.

I might wipe everything off and reprogram from scratch. They def. aren't there functionally (even the page up/down that other's referenced).

Now that I know that it "should" have came up with these functions, I know where to go from here.

Thanks for the fast reply all!

I might wipe everything off and reprogram from scratch. They def. aren't there functionally (even the page up/down that other's referenced).

Now that I know that it "should" have came up with these functions, I know where to go from here.

Thanks for the fast reply all!

I tried that to no avail. The tech told be that there was something in my account (what I have no clue) that was preventing all the features from coming up. I had page up and down, but no Live TV. The call fixed it.

It should not have to learn it. It should be there.
That could be said about a lot of things in life that we have no control over. This, we do have control over. My DVR function was added as the first customizable button under the Watch TV activity and even my technically challenged wife has no problem understanding that and using it.

And, the previous poster was correct about the PageUp and PageDn buttons. They are the "up arrow" and "down arrow" buttons below the OK button.

On my 890 and my One, I also added a button on the LCD for "DVR (x2)". It is set to a sequence of hitting DVR twice to go to the recordings section quicker. Kinda nice to not have to hit the button twice (it used to be that way with the dish DVR's).

On my 890 and my One, I also added a button on the LCD for "DVR (x2)". It is set to a sequence of hitting DVR twice to go to the recordings section quicker. Kinda nice to not have to hit the button twice (it used to be that way with the dish DVR's).
That's a great idea!! :eureka I'll have to add one too.

And to think I've been settling for hitting the button twice!

GREAT IDEA!!

Now, how do you do it? :)

on my 880 to get to the DVR button, I just press Device, Satellite and then DVR which is in the first section. It should be assigned to an actual button, but to be honest I seem to prefer my actual dish remote so I keep the two of them out. I still use the 880 to control everything else, TV, DVD, Onkyo, 360, etc so it's still effective in reducing remotes ;-)

I sell both Dish and Harmony.

Here's the BIG TIP:

No matter what Dish receiver you have, enter DISH DVR 942.

It has the same IR frequencies as ALL dish receivers, but is old enough that it has all the commands in it's database. Including discrete On and Off.

Also, in the drop down box, select 'PVR' as the command you press to go to your DVR List.

One more thing....look under PIP...PIPSWAP...and PIPMOVE for those commands.

But I repeat the BIG TIP: Use DISHDVR 942 as the model number for your receiver, regardless of what it actually is.

And last, ffwd and rew 30 seconds in DVR, can those be added?

Thanks all! :hungry:

Just go to the Logitech setup menu and manually add the commands. I did this with mine and also relabeled the commands to "List Programs" and "skip commercials" so that guests can figure it out easily.

on my 880 to get to the DVR button, I just press Device, Satellite and then DVR which is in the first section. It should be assigned to an actual button,
No, no no.....you should never have to use the device button for anything!

From the software, just click on the Activities tab then 'Customize Buttons' then the 'Additional Buttons' tab at the top and then type "My Shows" (or whatever you want to call your DVR command) in the Label column...select the DVR reciever in the Device column....then select PVR in the third (Command) column.

That is also where I put my PIP, Swap, Move, and Cancel commands. (I change the default Harmony EXIT hard button from 'Cancel' to 'View' since it is a better "get out of jail free" button than 'Cancel' (which I rarely use)

Click Done and update the remote.

You will now have a "My Shows" button on the top left of your blue LCD screen. (and whatever useful buttons you want quick access to)

I sell both Dish and Harmony.

Here's the BIG TIP:

No matter what Dish receiver you have, enter DISH DVR 942.

It has the same IR frequencies as ALL dish receivers, but is old enough that it has all the commands in it's database. Including discrete On and Off.

Also, in the drop down box, select 'PVR' as the command you press to go to your DVR List.

One more thing....look under PIP...PIPSWAP...and PIPMOVE for those commands.

But I repeat the BIG TIP: Use DISHDVR 942 as the model number for your receiver, regardless of what it actually is.
I had a similar problem to the OP and to KAB, except I have a 622, not a 722. Before I bought my 880 I had read your suggestion about specifying the 942 as the model number. It sounds like a great idea. But it didn't work for me. The 880 could not send any recognizable commands to my 622 when I had it programmed as a 942. So I started over and reprogrammed the 880 to tell it I had a 622. Still nothing. I was not just missing one command. I was missing all commands. Logitech appears to have a very screwy database for Dish receivers.

Like KAB, my problems were solved only by a call to Logitech tech support. They were very helpful and had me up and running in less than 15 minutes, but still stayed on the line until I had tested many commands. The fix involved them walking me through teaching the 880 several commands. After I taught it the third command, a message popped up on my computer screen saying a better command set had been found, and would I like to switch to it. Tech support told me to say "Yes". I did. And after that all was well.:)

I still had a few minor problems finding commands in Logitech's list when I wanted to set up some soft buttons. They appear to be all there, but Logitech's names for some commands differ from the names on the Dish remote buttons, and sometimes the correspondence between Logitech's names and Dish's names is unclear.

Finally, thanks to Hopton for the great tip on setting up DVR (x2). I will do that tonight.:hatsoff:
On second thought, I will try eddie willers suggestion of using the PVR command first, if it is in the list I see.:hatsoff::hatsoff:

Last edited:
I had a similar problem to the OP and to KAB, except I have a 622, not a 722.
What is weird is that my buddy with a 622 had no problems whatsoever. I programmed it for him, and EVERY single 622 command was there. Go figure.
When I had my problems, there was no walking me through learning commands. They just appeared after they did their thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)