VIP 722 Dying?

ryotgz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
USA
We have had our VIP722 for about 8 months. Last night while trying to access the DVR recordings it says " Unable to access this feature at this time. Data not available". So I unplugged it and started to work again.

It is now doing it again. I assume the HDD may be going bad and need to replace the unit. My question is, if lease the DVR and don't have the Dish Protection will they replace it for free?

That's ridiculous they don't have any warranty especially on a leased receiver. But I see I can add the DHPP online and will do that momentarily. Thanks

Still going to cost you to replace even with DHPP...~$15 if they'll ship the replacement or $29 if they insist on having a truck bring it over.

Still better than $99+ if you don't have the plan

Still going to cost you to replace even with DHPP...~$15 if they'll ship the replacement or $29 if they insist on having a truck bring it over.

Still better than $99+ if you don't have the plan

I was recently charged nothing with DHPP. (sent the receiver) The OP's problem was same as mine...dead HD.

I'll post if they end up charging me or not.

Do they say anything if I added DHPP 30 minutes ago and want to make a claim?

I'll post if they end up charging me or not.

Do they say anything if I added DHPP 30 minutes ago and want to make a claim?
No. Some people have added it when calling about the problem. Since it's Friday, I'd call since they might yet ship today.

Just called them and they seem to think it was the guide data causing the issue. He said Data not available would mean a problem with the guide info. So we forced the guide to download. Guess I'll see if it happens again.

Just called them and they seem to think it was the guide data causing the issue. He said Data not available would mean a problem with the guide info. So we forced the guide to download. Guess I'll see if it happens again.
So it's working now?

My 622VIP is acting up. I am waiting on the new 922 to be releases -- which I hope happens in August (good luck huh!). My hard drive sometimes will not delete, sometimes it skips from the middle to the end if I use one of the fast forward funtions and the voice and picture constantly get out of sync. Come on 922 -- get a move on!

OP sounds more like your hard drive might be kaput (or close)...that's what my last 625 was doing before it died (do you hear constant clicking?). Maybe you'll get lucky but be prepared just in case.

OP, don't cancel the DHPP yet. I concur with Catnap. Mine started like yours did. Was OK for a few days after a hard reset, then died permanently. Have you tried accessing your recordings? The techs got me back so I could watch TV while waiting, but could not do anything else.

Well it happened again this evening. I called tech support back and read off the values and he said the values do not indicate any hard drive failure as of yet. He had me plug directly into the wall instead of the APC to see if that resolves the issue. He told me he will notate the account that if I call in again that they will replace the unit instead of going through the troubleshooting steps again.

So I am definitely going to keep DHPP on my account for a while longer.

Catnap: I have not heard any clicking, but don't sit very close to it. I will try to listen more closely to see if I can hear anything.

I just had a 722 HDD crap out and it is a lease. I went through the exact same diagnostic routine as the OP did.

In the end, DISH sent me another unit free but they wanted to charge me the shipping.

I pointed out to them (politely) what a "valued customer" I was (they use this term every other breath now when you talk with them) and that the receiver in question was only 6 mo old when it started acting up. I successfully convinced them to waive the shipping without having DHPP. The CSR did try to sell it to me first.

Unfortunately the replacement was a brick out of the box so they sent a tech and tried to charge me the $29 service call fee, once again I successfully convinced them that I was a "valued customer" and they waived that fee as well.

If I break it, I expect to pay, but if it is defective I don't expect to pay. With a little convincing, DISH agreed with me.

Thanks for being a "valued customer", ok, whatever....

Got a different error today! A problem with your DVR has been detected that may prevent you from recording or pause live TV. Called and another 722 is on its way free of charge since I have a "warranty".

Waiting on hold now to see if I can get external hard drive enabled for free to back up the shows while I can. I will be a valued customer if they give me any grief.

It took a little persuasion, but I got the $ 39.99 activation fee waived. At first they offer 1/2 off, but gave me a warning of it may not work since the hard drive is bad in the DVR. So I used the warning against them stating why pay anything if it may or may not work and I would only use it this one time. After being on hold, they waived the whole charge.

Well crud. Now it won't even display a picture on the TV. If I unplug it and plug it back in, it sounds like it is booting up but nothing displays on the TV. The TV 1 light does not light up any more either.

KAB - How did the Techs get you back up where you could at least watch TV?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts