VIP 722 Failure

JLANG7105

Original poster
Feb 4, 2011
Fayetteville, NC
I started with Dish Network in Dec. 2008 with the VIP 722 receiver. Last week I just installed my third replacement receiver because of hard drive failures.

After the second replacement, I learned my lesson and bought an external hard drive (EHD). Please be advised that the EHD must have its own power supply and the 722 will support up to 1 TB. Also be advised that Dish will charge a one-time fee of $40 to activate the USB port for the EHD. Nice, eh?

I'm not sure what the failure rate is of the hard drive's being used in the 722, but from my perspective, it doesn't look too promising.

My recommendation to Dish is find a vendor who can provide a more reliable hard drive.
If the service agreement is still $6/month (per another post on this forum) than it is still cheaper to pay the $15 shipping fee for a replacement box.

Agree on the internal hard drives. But my 1.5TB WD15EARS was activated automatically, without fee, about a week ago. :)

... Please be advised that the EHD must have its own power supply and the 722 will support up to 1 TB. Also be advised that Dish will charge a one-time fee of $40 to activate the USB port for the EHD. Nice, eh?

I'm not sure what the failure rate is of the hard drive's being used in the 722, but from my perspective, it doesn't look too promising.
There is no longer a Fee to activate a HDD. Many of us have never suffered a HD failure with our Vip receivers so I'd take a look at your physical setup - located in a closed (hot) cabinet? Blocked airflow? Etc. Finally, the max size HDD is at least 1.5 Tb .

Nice, eh? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Many of us have never suffered a HD failure with our Vip receivers? I'd take a look at you physical setup - located in a closed (hot) cabinet? Blocked airflow?

Ground problem in home wiring, also.

Have you read any of my posts saying that I hate non-k rcvrs? I have yet to figure out why, but it seems like every time we get a load of 722 non-k rvrs in, there is also a note out on the dumpster telling us not to throw away 722 boxes, they need them for returns.

Tell them you want a 722K and nothing short of that. If you have a OTA antenna plugged into the 722, you will need to buy a OTA module. The K rcvrs don't have a port for the over an air antenna. Dish sells them for $50 plus tax and shipping, I've seen them on ebay for as cheap as $15 shipped.

And now your going to get the "ive had my 722 non-k working great for xx years, no problems....

Also, its now free to add a ehd....dish says nothing larger than 1tb, but also says "limitless DVR library"

Ensure the rcvr has nothing sitting within 6" of it in all directions. Might sound crazy but I'm serious.
I also would check the electrical in your house. For some reason, dish thinks that when a rcvr fails, its the customers wiring. I've been to homes that has been through rcvrs, and the guy had thousands in his home theater, with no issues anywhere else.

LOL, yup. I've had my 722 non-k working great (with the occasional crash) for about 4 years now.

Mine's been rock-solid almost as long, as well as my 622. The 722 is used a LOT, frequently recording 3 programs @ the same time while viewing a recording. Guess I've just been lucky......:)

Ed

Both my ViP722 units are working just fine, thank you.

The common denominator in your problems is your location. Definitely check grounds, loose connections (not uncommon on older duplex outlets) and most of all, put in high quality surge suppressors/UPS units. On of my ViP722 DVRs is on a more or less common PC UPS, the other is on a high end APC AV power conditioner and UPS.

I started with Dish Network in Dec. 2008 with the VIP 722 receiver. Last week I just installed my third replacement receiver because of hard drive failures.

After the second replacement, I learned my lesson and bought an external hard drive (EHD). Please be advised that the EHD must have its own power supply and the 722 will support up to 1 TB. Also be advised that Dish will charge a one-time fee of $40 to activate the USB port for the EHD. Nice, eh?

My recommendation to Dish is find a vendor who can provide a more reliable hard drive.
If the service agreement is still $6/month (per another post on this forum) than it is still cheaper to pay the $15 shipping fee for a replacement box.

Check your DVR temps. Menu 6-3, click on counters and then use your page down button till you see the temps. Let us know what they are. Maybe you are running too hot.

I've had my 722K for at least 3 years, it just failed last week (hard drive). Had the new one in two days, was impressed. When the UPS guy picked the bad one up for return, his response: "Oh great, another Dish receiver". I asked if he did many. He said 3 to 4 a day. Just saying.

SaltiDawg said:
Yeah. You trash talked the non-k receivers and predicted that some people would disagree based on their personal experience.

Still think you're right? lol Only kidding, you know you're right. ;)

Although I only do this about 45 hours a week and have been doing it for almost two years, I'll toss out my personal experience. There is something about them I just hate.

To the comment about the ups guy, not all rcvrs being returned are bad. If people leave dish or want to drop a rcvr, they have to return the equipment.

I keep a USB-powered fan on the shelf behind my 722k, up against one of the cable/vent holes in the back of the cabinet, in the exhaust direction, blowing the hot air out of the back of the cabinet. I have it set at about 50% speed to keep noise down, and it does wonders for keeping the inside of that section of the cabinet cool.

I recommend anyone keeping their 722k in a cabinet to do the same. The Thermaltake-brand fan was like $10 on Amazon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts