VIP 722 making ringing noise

dwcleck

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2008
I have a new VIP 722 that Dish sent me after my 622 would no longer power on. This is actually my third DVR with them. I've had the 722 installed for about a week and today it started making this sound that is similar to a dialing type sound. It happens in intervals that sounds exactly like it is being dialed or it is dialing out. Its fairly random though so sometimes it may make the sound several times and then the next time only once or twice. It not really loud but in a quiet room it is very noticeable. If the TV sound is up it drowns it out mostly but not entirely. Just to give you an idea of the volume of it. Its a kind of ringing sound and I don't think that could be a fan and not similar to a HD sound either. I do hear the fan if I get really close but that's nothing in comparison to this sound. Anybody got an idea what this might be before I try calling and go through the usual?

Thanks

:)

Sometimes a little piece of the braid in the coax gets stuck when you put fittings on. The noise it makes is similar to what you are describing.

To see if it is one of your connections, unscrew them one at a time - if the sound doesn't go away put it back. If it is a connection problem, the sound will go away when you unplug the right one.

From there its a matter of finding the connection in that particular run that has the problem

Of course this might not be the problem you got at all but it's worth a shot

Sometimes a little piece of the braid in the coax gets stuck when you put fittings on. The noise it makes is similar to what you are describing.

To see if it is one of your connections, unscrew them one at a time - if the sound doesn't go away put it back. If it is a connection problem, the sound will go away when you unplug the right one.

From there its a matter of finding the connection in that particular run that has the problem

Of course this might not be the problem you got at all but it's worth a shot
Huh?

Would it be something other than some coax/connection issue if it stops when I press the power off button? I mean a normal power off....dish network logo still appears on screen. But, if turned back on (video showing) it eventually starts the ringing again.

I have also unscrewed both incoming coax cables from the back of the box, did one at a time. However, even with both completely disconnected still hear the consistent rinnnnnggggg, rinnnnnnnnggggg,...............rinnnnnggggg......ringgggggggg. Do you think its the box?

I have also unscrewed both incoming coax cables from the back of the box, did one at a time. However, even with both completely disconnected still hear the consistent rinnnnnggggg, rinnnnnnnnggggg,...............rinnnnnggggg......ringgggggggg. Do you think its the box?
Is this a high frequency ring that is too high for most people to hear? Like the flyback transformer on a crt? I'm not sure if there is a circuit that would produce high frequency oscillation in the dvr.

No not high pitched. Definitely an audible sound anyone could hear. Wife is also complaining. It actually signs like a low level ring....ring....ring. The idea of the wire touching fan could do it.

Oh and again it stops immediately as I press the off button (which again doesn't completely power off the unit). What would be ringing that would stop the second I press the off button on the DVR? One more thing. If I have nothing recording at the time the above is true. If I set a channel to record then power off, it keeps ringing or dialing...whatever it is. I think I'll have to call them. I bet I'll have to go through yet another DVR. How many can I get replaced before I can say the contract with them is not fulfilled and demand they cancel me and let me go somewhere else? I love Dish but my god, this is ridiculous.

No not high pitched. Definitely an audible sound anyone could hear. Wife is also complaining. It actually signs like a low level ring....ring....ring. The idea of the wire touching fan could do it.
Without pulling the lid, it could be any number. It could simply be the fan, even if it is plastic. Pulling the lid may have a negative effect on the warranty. It might be best to have E* send you a replacement.

Oh and again it stops immediately as I press the off button (which again doesn't completely power off the unit). What would be ringing that would stop the second I press the off button on the DVR? One more thing. If I have nothing recording at the time the above is true. If I set a channel to record then power off, it keeps ringing or dialing...whatever it is. I think I'll have to call them. I bet I'll have to go through yet another DVR. How many can I get replaced before I can say the contract with them is not fulfilled and demand they cancel me and let me go somewhere else? I love Dish but my god, this is ridiculous.
If you go through multiple dvrs, you need to start considering something is wrong with your power, your setup, or both.