ViP 722 OTA antenna: basic cable feed possible?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

BaronVonHungster

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
Fresburg, Cali
Was thinking about getting the dishHD programming package + DVR. I had a couple of questions:

If I get the ViP 722 DVR receiver, can I hook in coax from Comcast basic cable into the OTA antenna?

(I have Comcast HSI and they make you purchase at least basic cable.... lame.)

If this is possible, can I record from OTA antenna using the DVR?

If this doesn't work, I could always hook up directly to the TV, but wanted to see if the DVR would work...

I guess I could just hook up an OTA antenna, but don't want to deal with getting the reception "just right".

I know this is slightly off topic but, is there anything better than the following deal?

dishHD programming $29.99/mo
locals $5.00/mo
DVR $5.98/mo
Cinemax promo for 1 year $0.01

I am really considering having my dad cancel his AT&T Dish account with AT250 DVR Advantage + HDUltimate Addon for $74.99 and adding the aforementioned for about half the price.

If the DVR "trick" works, I might even pull the locals for $5...

Sorry to keep adding on, new questions keep popping up... The Cinemax for a penny deal... does that come with the Cinemax HD channel as well?!?

Man, I love synergies. Reminds me of building decks for CCGs.

BaronVonHungster,

The tuner in the 722 is ATSC only. It won't work with any cable signal, nor analog OTA. An antenna can be tricky, but depending on your location, it can be very simple.

As for the package, I think that pricing is standard, but I don't think you can get any better. But remember that package is only the HD channels plus your locals, there are still a bunch of stations in the 250 package that you wouldn't receive.

Miner

But remember that package is only the HD channels plus your locals, there are still a bunch of stations in the 250 package that you wouldn't receive.

Miner

Miner,

Thanks for the response. I understand that I would be missing out on a lot of channels but I find myself watching mostly my HD locals since I got my new HDTV 3 weeks ago... The PQ b/w HD and SD is like night and day. It reminds me of when I first started watching DVDs when VHS was being phased out. IT'S.... SO.... CLEAR!! /cries out in happiness

Sorry to keep adding on, new questions keep popping up... The Cinemax for a penny deal... does that come with the Cinemax HD channel as well?!?

Man, I love synergies. Reminds me of building decks for CCGs.

If you have the hd package, cinemax hd comes with the penny deal.
SOON, we are supposed to also get moremax in hd

BaronVonHungster,

An antenna can be tricky, but depending on your location, it can be very simple.

Miner

I currently have a regular OTA antenna hooked up on the roof. I will try to hook it up the the HDTV to see if it is good enough to receive all OTA HD channels. If it works fine with the HDTV tuner, it should work fine with the ViP 722 OTA tuner as well.

Last edited:
Was thinking about getting the dishHD programming package + DVR. I had a couple of questions:

If I get the ViP 722 DVR receiver, can I hook in coax from Comcast basic cable into the OTA antenna?

(I have Comcast HSI and they make you purchase at least basic cable.... lame.)

If this is possible, can I record from OTA antenna using the DVR?

If this doesn't work, I could always hook up directly to the TV, but wanted to see if the DVR would work...

I guess I could just hook up an OTA antenna, but don't want to deal with getting the reception "just right".

Even with basic cable - you might still (I do) get the local HD feeds in digital. It took my TV a long while to scan, but it finally found my locals from Comcast. Actually, I only have Comcast high-speed internet, but on a whim I used my TV to scan the cable and voila.

However, the range of the channels (their true location) appears to be above 99, so my DVR 722 will not locate them. It really sucks, since Dish doesn't currently provide my locals. I believe if Dish was to allow the 722 to go above 99, then it would work.

If you connect an OTA antenna to the 722, then yes you can scan-locate-add your locals in HD and have them added to the Dish menu on the 722.

Even with basic cable - you might still (I do) get the local HD feeds in digital. It took my TV a long while to scan, but it finally found my locals from Comcast. Actually, I only have Comcast high-speed internet, but on a whim I used my TV to scan the cable and voila.

However, the range of the channels (their true location) appears to be above 99, so my DVR 722 will not locate them. It really sucks, since Dish doesn't currently provide my locals. I believe if Dish was to allow the 722 to go above 99, then it would work.

If you connect an OTA antenna to the 722, then yes you can scan-locate-add your locals in HD and have them added to the Dish menu on the 722.

The high channel numbers has nothing to do with the receiver not scanning them. Cable uses a QAM tuner, the HD receivers only have an ATSC (digital tuner).

I agree that the real problem is that the tuner is ATSC only but DISH does a lot to create this confusion by listing certain types of cable channels in the menu---and referring to it all as analog input type.

I did the same thing and it also took quite a while but I not only got the networks in HD but also HD feeds of both ESPNs, NESN-HD and others, including some 480i digital feeds.

What I don't know is how many I would get if I only had basic cable since I do have extended basic plus the HD tier.

thewolfe said:
As someone else said, it's got to have a QAM tuner to pickup the unscrambled digital feeds with cable. I wasn't aware that any of Dish's receivers had QAM except possibly the 811 may have got it via software upgrade towards the end of it's marketing life.

thewolfe said:
And they will usually have much better PQ than the HD LiLs feeds.

Your TV can tune them in but your 622/722 cannot. It si not really about "allowing" the tune r to go higher. The tuner is ATSC and the basic and digital cable channles are not.

The high channel numbers has nothing to do with the receiver not scanning them. Cable uses a QAM tuner, the HD receivers only have an ATSC (digital tuner).

Yeah, after posting - I started researching more and found that out. Kinda stupid really, even my TV has an ATSC/QAM tuner - I'd have paid the $10 extra for the DVR for it.

Yeah, after posting - I started researching more and found that out. Kinda stupid really, even my TV has an ATSC/QAM tuner - I'd have paid the $10 extra for the DVR for it.

Maybe they don't want you to subscribe to cable.