VIP 722 quirks?

Hoosier-Daddy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 13, 2007
I just replaced a dieing 522 with a new 722 from Dish. I would like some feedback on if some things are normal for the model.

(1) The 722 is MUCH slower to respond to many remote commands than the 522 was. For example, scrolling horizontally in the guide sometimes takes a few seconds. Or skipping (or reinstating) a scheduled recording usually takes 5 or more seconds while the 522 would almost always do it in less than a second. In general my 722 is very sluggish compared to the 522.

(2) This morning, all programming display was silent and black. All the menus, guide and output created by the receiver displayed fine but selected live channels and all recordings including previously watched were just black with no sound. It cleared up by resetting the receiver. But we couldn't reset it to watch TV for hours because it was in the middle of recording a movie and none of the symptoms indicated the recording would not be fine (and it was).

We would be happy to assist you with this! The 722 should not normally be slower to respond. I would like to assist you further with that. Are you still seeing that issue after the reset? The reset should have resolved the issue you see when the black screen. Please let me know if it did not so that we can assist you further.

My 722 takes about 5 seconds or longer to skip or restore an event. Been like this for a long time. I attributed it to the amount of events (skipped or not) I have on my schedule list, which usually runs in the 400-500s.

My DVR event list is over 300 recorded events, so that list being long tends to slow down the loading of the DVR list as well.

You should have went to a 722k not a 722.... I've seen those things fail left and right. I'll also say that none of them are NEW...they are all refurbished but the 722's seem to always develop tuner signal failures after a few years. I'd get it all upgraded to the hopper rather than fool with the 722 or the constant RA's.

My 722 has been working fine for 8 or 9 years (can't remember). I've only had to replace the fan, and that's it.

My 722 takes about 5 seconds or longer to skip or restore an event. Been like this for a long time. I attributed it to the amount of events (skipped or not) I have on my schedule list, which usually runs in the 400-500s.

My DVR event list is over 300 recorded events, so that list being long tends to slow down the loading of the DVR list as well.
I don't have any more timers but due to the doubling of some programs with both SD and HD versions the number of (automatically skipped) redundant events is definitely higher. So you say 5 seconds is normal but someone from DISH says I might have a problem. So will see what else they have to say.

Thanks.

You should have went to a 722k not a 722.... I've seen those things fail left and right. I'll also say that none of them are NEW...they are all refurbished but the 722's seem to always develop tuner signal failures after a few years. I'd get it all upgraded to the hopper rather than fool with the 722 or the constant RA's.

Hopper is a No Go until someone updates PVRExplorer to support it (don't hold your breath).
Feature wise, nothing in the K that I wanted.

I'm over 3 years with my 722. Never had to RA it and I certainly don't have any of the reported glitches of the Hopper.

We would be happy to assist you with this! The 722 should not normally be slower to respond. I would like to assist you further with that. Are you still seeing that issue after the reset? The reset should have resolved the issue you see when the black screen. Please let me know if it did not so that we can assist you further.
The reset solved the loss of program video and sound, but as I noted, resetting is not a satisfactory solution when in the middle of a long recording. That's why I ask how common this is.

Someone else posted that their 722 is also very slow. His/her theory (which makes sense) is the speed is affected by the number of events. I responded that while my number of timers hasn't changed the number of events has due to the doubling or more of redundant and automatically skipped events because of both SD and HD versions. I would like to take you up on looking into the speed issue IF you think something could come of it.

Here's an idea you can try. If your 722 is broadband connected, log into www.dishanywhere.com and manage your DVR from the web site. I have noticed it is a lot faster to skip and restore events online than doing it from the TV using the remote. If it is faster, then I would just chalk it up to sluggishness over a longer list.

My 722 was pretty much flawless for 6 or 7 years. Hard drive finally failed last Feb. (2013). Got it swapped out for a refurb then, and the refurb's drive just died a couple of days ago.

I would think temps first, but it seems odd that my original would be fine for so long. Haven't changed locations. It is in a cabinet but it's completely open in the back and I've got an externally powered USB fan sucking the exhaust grill.

At least I didn't have much for programming on it this time. Last time I lost a bunch of stuff I hadn't watched yet.

My 722 and "K" boxes were also a positive experience. But considering Dish focusing on the Hopper, who knows what software update may have broken something and now a fix may take more time than with 722 and "K" were the "it" boxes of the day.

FYI, in the last year or so, I noticed my 622 has become slower and slower to respond to my remote control. It is generally not an issue except when I am trying to input a channel number directly. Sometimes it tales so long to respond that when I am entering say 01901 for channel 19.1 OTA it will try to go to channel 1 (end up on Channel 2.1 OTA dayton)

I also get many random reboots that I have traced to a bug with the LAN connection. Whenever my internet gets flaky I am very likely to get a random reboot on the 622.

Still this receiver has been nearly flawless for over 9 years!

Hopper is a No Go until someone updates PVRExplorer to support it (don't hold your breath).
Feature wise, nothing in the K that I wanted.

The K difference isn't something you would "want" you lose the OTA but that is about it and you get a better receiver that you can just add the OTA module into so best to go to the K or move to the Hopper to avoid issues down the short road.

My 722 has been working fine for 8 or 9 years (can't remember). I've only had to replace the fan, and that's it.

Not for long. We, the Hopper Kool-Aid Brigade, are about to send your ViP722 a "Pittsburgh" signal!
:D

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)