VIP 722 Use TV2 connection on LCD Monitor?

thebert99

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
I have a 722 which is just hooked into one TV. When the guy installed it, he enabled the TV2 connection so that I can watch it on any cable connection in my house. What I would like to do is use that connection to display TV on an LCD computer monitor that I have in my office/spare bedroom. Can someone tell me what converters/connectors/etc. I need?

The VIP222 has video out for TV2, I don't know if the 722 does also. But if it does, use a 'Video to VGA' converter. There are several companies who make them. Just do an Internet search for 'Video to VGA converter'.

The monitor uses DVI. I have VGA/DVI adapters, so that is no problem. Do you know if the TV2 through the coax into the second room is in NTSC, ATSC, or some other format? Most of the converters are specific to one format or are way expensive. For the price of a generic (multi-format?) one, I could just buy a TV for the office, so cheap is good here.

I also have an OTA D to A converter which has RCA out. Anyway I could rig that to take the place of the VCR/DVD in the setup described here:

or get an old dvd or vcr and hook the coaxial to that and then a RCA cable to the monitor.

The monitor uses DVI. I have VGA/DVI adapters, so that is no problem.
Yes, that is a problem. The only cheap VGA/DVI adapters use analog pins on the DVI connector. (Yes, sometimes enginners use the DVI connector for analog...) Most monitors these days come with VGA and DVI connectors, but I suppose your monitor might have come with only DVI and an adapter. Doesn't matter, because VGA uses RGBHV, and the TV2 outputs do not include RGB. Heck, neither does the TV1 component output, whcih is YPbPr. The only output on a 722 that could conceivably feed a computer rmonitor is the TV1 HDMI output.
I also have an OTA D to A converter which has RCA out. Anyway I could rig that to take the place of the VCR/DVD in the setup described here:
Huh? :confused: I thought you were trying to go from the NTSC TV2 RF output to a computer monitor. Most all computer monitors I have seen have no input for composite video. So, neither a VCR nor your D-to-A converter box would work. You need an analog TV (NTSC) tuner specifically designed to put a picture on a monitor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts