VIP 722 vs. TiVo Series 2 DVR

zippy the pinhead

Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
We had a TiVo series 2 DVR for about 3 years before switching to a Dish VIP 722.

I don't watch a lot of TV, but after using the Dish DVR for 8 months, I'm wondering about one thing.

Is there a smart way to use the Dish DVR to search the listings? For example, say I got a wild hair and wanted to record shows with "Tour de France" in the information field. Do I have to go through the motions of creating a DishPass timer to perform such a search? I didn't have to do that with the TiVo.

It's a pain to do it that way, because when I find that I don't like the shows it finds, I have to delete the timer in order to prevent it from recording them. I'm getting older and sort of dim sometimes, so I'm hoping some of you nice, saavy folks can clue me in to a slicker way of searching the listings.

I mean, it seems kind of dumb that the Dish DVR wants me to commit to recording the d@mned shows before I actually get to see what a particular search yields.

Sorry to be dumb. Thanks in advance...

When you use the suggestion above you can have it search for specific words either in the title of the show, or the content of the description.

I'm supprised your Tivo lasted 3 years on a single hard drive.
I have a Directv HDVR2 Tivo.
I replaced the hard drive 1 year ago and now its shot again.
I love this receiver but the hard drives are JUNK!

Highlight the program, which is "Cycling" and select "New programs" in Options. For TDF, make sure you add one hour for race extensions. If you have no interest Cycling beyond TDF, delete it after the Tour. If you like Cycling, leave it and you get all races on Versus. TO get a sporting season pass for a specific team, you need to set up a Keyword Dish Pass, such as "STEELERS" in the catagory Sports, Football. That will set up season pass that is not channel specific.

I have a legacy TiVo Series 1 with Lifetime on its third hard drive. Still use it to search for things to record. With remote programming, I search with TiVo and program the 722 via a wireless laptop.

I'm supprised your Tivo lasted 3 years on a single hard drive.
I have a Directv HDVR2 Tivo.
I replaced the hard drive 1 year ago and now its shot again.
I love this receiver but the hard drives are JUNK!

We upgraded the HDD to a 400GB drive after 18 months or so.

The upgrade requires some tech skilz-- namely a PC booting from a special Linux OS on a CD-- which a friend of mine provided.

My only complaint regarding my TiVo was that it seemed to slow down a bit after the HDD upgrade.

You guys are smart, and I really appreciate the tip in re: intelligent searching.

Regarding the search with TiVo/program with laptop strategy, do you achieve this by logging in to your Dish account via the laptop?

BTW another dumb question while I have your attention: the channel with the TdF coverage, does it require a special antenna? I have their HD package with some other programming package-- not at home now, and can't recall exactly what it is-- and I believe our antenna gets satellites 110 and 119.

zippy the pinhead, you guys are smart... I am still chuckling.

That is exactly how I do it. TiVo on the tele, TiVo remote in hand, Laptop connected to the Dish/sling remote access. Start the search from the main menu screen, punch the number "4" on the remote (as in search for____), and select catagories from there. ie: TiVo>4>Movies>Action and Adventure>select the letter "A">start searching the list. It is kinda nice to have a recording history by rating only the things you have watched.

If you like TiVos Reccomendations, TiVo>8 takes you there.

The 722s Search by category misses a lot of hits. As you have probably noticed from the guide, category is not listed in the Info.

PS. TDF is over. It was on Versus channel 151. Versus is in the top tier of regular programing which I believe they call Classic Gold. When I signed up for service, I told the rep I wanted whatever package contains SPEED, Versus, Fox News and VOOM and they did the rest.

You guys are smart, and I really appreciate the tip in re: intelligent searching.
One feature that is lacking (AFAIK) and really chaps my buns it that after you search something and it comes up empty, there is no "Do you wish to create a DISH Pass from this Search?" option.

NO.....you have to go all the way back to My Recordings/Daily Schedule/DISH Pass and type the darn thing all over again!

Or am I wrong?

One feature that is lacking (AFAIK) and really chaps my buns it that after you search something and it comes up empty, there is no "Do you wish to create a DISH Pass from this Search?" option.

NO.....you have to go all the way back to My Recordings/Daily Schedule/DISH Pass and type the darn thing all over again!

Or am I wrong?

I am not sure if you are right or wrong, but something tells me you are right because I know the work around. Press Menu>2 and select History to repeat a previous Search. Repeat as necessary over time until you find the program you are looking for.

I am not sure if you are right or wrong, but something tells me you are right because I know the work around. Press Menu>2 and select History to repeat a previous Search. Repeat as necessary over time until you find the program you are looking for.
If I could remember to go to 'History' every day, I wouldn't need a DISH Pass. :D

For you programmers out there:

How hard would it be to write something like "If search results = zero, go to DISH Pass page" ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts