VIP 722k keeps saying signal loss every few minutes but signal is fine... (DIRT?)

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sofakng

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
I own (not lease) a VIP 722k receiver and it's worked fine for a while but now I keep getting 002 (Partial Signal Loss) errors every few minutes. If I change channels back/forth it's perfectly fine.

The other receiver on my account (connected to the same 1000.4 LNBF) is fine so I don't think the signal is the problem, but I believe my 722k is failing.

Dish offered to schedule an appointment for me but is it just possible to receive a replacement unit through the mail? I'm so busy that I'm really not sure when I could get a free block of time and doing this through the mail would be so much easier.

The other problem is that I can go for an hour without a problem and then have it occur every two minutes after that so even if a tech made a visit he might not even see it while he's checking...

I own (not lease) a VIP 722k receiver and it's worked fine for a while but now I keep getting 002 (Partial Signal Loss) errors every few minutes. If I change channels back/forth it's perfectly fine.

The other receiver on my account (connected to the same 1000.4 LNBF) is fine so I don't think the signal is the problem, but I believe my 722k is failing.

Dish offered to schedule an appointment for me but is it just possible to receive a replacement unit through the mail? I'm so busy that I'm really not sure when I could get a free block of time and doing this through the mail would be so much easier.

The other problem is that I can go for an hour without a problem and then have it occur every two minutes after that so even if a tech made a visit he might not even see it while he's checking...

Have you tried to run a check switch test? Did you get en error message? Is your other receiver an HD receiver as well? Have you tried swapping them? The problem with sending a replacement receiver is that 002 is a signal issue and even though it is only effecting one receiver, it is most likely not receiver related.

Thanks for the reply!

The check switch test succeeded and both inputs said "Reception verified."

Are there any other tests I can run or signal levels I could check myself?

The interesting thing is that the "Partial Signal Loss" error message does NOT go away by itself. I could leave it sit for an hour and it won't disappear unless I switch channels back/forth. Is that normal?

Are there specific channels being effected by this issue? Do you have an OTA module? The issue you report about switching channels to resolve to resolve is not uncommon. Has anything changed since this issue started? If you could please PM me your account information so I can review, I would appreciate it! Thanks!

I've sent you a PM with my information.

I have an OTA module installed but I don't use it because my antenna signal strength isn't very good.

All of the channels I've tried are affected (ie. it's not just one).

Nothing has changed since this issue started occuring (a few months ago).

Do you have any OTA channels on the program guide? If yes, if you remove them I bet your problem goes away...

More than likely it's not the receiver. A bad fitting, low frequency barrel, or poor cable is more likely the culprit. These are the most common causes of your issue I run in to out in the field.

Thanks so much for the information everybody.

Do you have any OTA channels on the program guide? If yes, if you remove them I bet your problem goes away...
This seems like the easiest thing to try. My OTA signal strengths are high but the quality is terrible... I think maybe it's multi-path issues or something. Do I have to unplug the OTA module or just remove the local/OTA channels from the guide to try this?

Also, all of my recordings are 100% perfect despite the guide/live TV giving this partial signal loss problem... Wouldn't my recordings be stuttering or have other problems if I was really having a signal/cable problem?

Removing them might work but the module is held in place by just (2) screws... I'd remove it.

Sent from my SkyRaider Zeus Thunderbolt!

If your using a di-plexer to split the signals for your 722, make sure your diplexer isn't rusted or bad, also make sure your fittings and your ground block are good and have to rust in them. Also check your wiring to make sure its not damaged. Those are the most common problems for signal problems.

I have had the same problem since mid November. I have a 722k and a 612. Only the 722k has the problem. I have switched receivers, cable inputs and only the 722k has the signal loss. The only way I can stop the partial signal loss is to disconnect the OTA cable from OTA module.

Yes. The 722K is in my family room and the 612 is in my basement office. I put the 722k in my basement and the 612 in the family room and the temp signal loss almost immediatly popped up on the 722k. Never has happened on the 612.
Both are hooked up to the OTA antenna.

ok. I swapped and it was on an OTA. I have it on a sat channel now and swapped back. I have to hook up my OTA antenna. I'll let you know what happens. In the past the temp sig loss may not happen for a day or two then happen several time in an hour. Than you for the advice.

The advice about the OTA signal is most likely exactly the problem. If you want to use the OTA module you probably still can, just be sure when done watching an OTA channel, you go to two sat channels. (After leaving local, go to any SAT channel, then go to the SAT channel you want to watch) That has always worked for me. That way the OTA signal is not being seen by any tuner.

What strength is your OTA signals? For the 722K to support 2 OTA tuners it must have an internal signal splitter for the 2 OTA tuners, the 612 has just one tuner so twice as much signal is getting to it's tuner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)