VIP 722k keeps saying signal loss every few minutes but signal is fine... (DIRT?)

when this happens to me, i can trace it back to the use of OTA timers to record network programming. if there is no reason for the tuner to change, it will stay where it is.
since you are in single mode, the receiver sees a drop in signal and pops up the partial loss of signal messege on the TV that it sees as active. unfortunatly, it likes to pick the satellite one instead of the OTA one.

I think I have the smoking gun proof that the OTA low signal is causing the partial signal loss message while viewing satellite channels.

I was watching an OTA channel, went to change channels to a SAT channel, but just before I hit enter on the channel change, the OTA channel lost its signal and popped up its yellow signal loss message, and then as the SAT channel tuned in, the message switched over to the blue partial signal loss message on the SAT channel. Both message screens only lasted about 1-2 seconds each, and then everything was fine without my intervention.

"Smoking gun proof" ? I have to admit, no one has shown "proof" previously, but this hunch from users is a few years old. I think what you've done is personally witnessed it now...

OK, thanks. I think you and tampa8 are correct. I did not record on OTA but i recorded 2 programs on the sat channels then watched another program on the OTA channel. The OTA channel just happened to be one with the lowest signal power. That didn't help either. So far so good. No temp sig loss.

real easy to test.
press swap
tune to an OTA channel
press swap again
unhook OTA antenna (or just touch it, in my case)
voilà, partial signal loss messege.

Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri are having issues with local channels. I'm having a similar issue on NBC,ABC,CBS, but all my cable channels are working just fine. I thought I was having some type of OTA issue too because it did the same thing when I used my antenna, but Dish Network said it's on their side and are working to get it fixed.

I think I have the smoking gun proof that the OTA low signal is causing the partial signal loss message while viewing satellite channels.

I was watching an OTA channel, went to change channels to a SAT channel, but just before I hit enter on the channel change, the OTA channel lost its signal and popped up its yellow signal loss message, and then as the SAT channel tuned in, the message switched over to the blue partial signal loss message on the SAT channel. Both message screens only lasted about 1-2 seconds each, and then everything was fine without my intervention.

I'm pretty sure the OTA is what was causing it for you... here's an old post of mine w/ the same issue: http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-technical-discussions/143343-tried-search-too-many-results.html#post1459508

Did this issue ever get resolved? I'm having the same problem, that just started a couple of days ago for no good reason (nothing has changed in my system for years - other than software updates that are out of my control). I have a Viper 722, and it is not truly a signal loss issue because I can hit Guide/Cancel and rewind up to see that reception was fine while the message was displayed. I saw this problem reported a few months ago, but couldn't find a resolution to it then either. Anyone have any true insight to what is causing this? Dish techs can't help on the phone.

Did this issue ever get resolved? I'm having the same problem, that just started a couple of days ago for no good reason (nothing has changed in my system for years - other than software updates that are out of my control).
Did your receiver just take a s/w update recently ? If so, and this has never happened before, it's possible they just added this feature for you !! :D

I am having this issue, which is awesome. I don't do any OTA stuff. My wife said it has been fine today, but when I got home I go to random channels and it shows the 002 screen. All connections are tight. I did a check switch and it passed. I did a system info screen and it said it can't find satellite 110. Is that bad?

Yep. Something blocking the signal, like a tree or something? Maybe the dish needs to be realigned.......maybe a bad lnb.......

I am having this issue, which is awesome. I don't do any OTA stuff. My wife said it has been fine today, but when I got home I go to random channels and it shows the 002 screen. All connections are tight. I did a check switch and it passed. I did a system info screen and it said it can't find satellite 110. Is that bad?

You are definitely having a signal issue into the receiver. Can you please PM me your account or phone number so I review your account and see about getting a technician visit set up? Thank you!

LOL. Should have known. The moment I take off the protection plan I have a problem that will cost me $95 to fix... Murphy's law always comes through.

I will be a new Dish customer soon. I currently have DTV and experienced the same problems that you are describing on my master bedroom receiver. I would lose my signal on certain Satelites but not on the other TV's . I thought it was the receiver and the voltage fading in & out to the LNB. As I was rewiring my house for the new H/J system, I checked and tested the connectors. Well I noticed that some of my connectors had the center copper conductor sink back into the cable. Like the cable shrunk or copper had withdrawn some. We had severe heat in Texas last summer and everyone's attic was like a huge oven. I believe it had an effect on my connectors. With less copper sticking out it was barely making a connection. Fixed, repaired, or replaced the connector and the problem of lost signal has gone away completely !!! But I am still getting rid of DTV for the Dish H/J system.

I will be a new Dish customer soon. I currently have DTV and experienced the same problems that you are describing on my master bedroom receiver. I would lose my signal on certain Satelites but not on the other TV's . I thought it was the receiver and the voltage fading in & out to the LNB. As I was rewiring my house for the new H/J system, I checked and tested the connectors. Well I noticed that some of my connectors had the center copper conductor sink back into the cable. Like the cable shrunk or copper had withdrawn some. We had severe heat in Texas last summer and everyone's attic was like a huge oven. I believe it had an effect on my connectors. With less copper sticking out it was barely making a connection. Fixed, repaired, or replaced the connector and the problem of lost signal has gone away completely !!! But I am still getting rid of DTV for the Dish H/J system.

Great Post!! That's the kind of information that someday could help solve an issue for someone. :first:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)