VIP 722K overheating. Replace processor thermal paste?

mxyz

Original poster
Dec 6, 2017
US
Has anyone tried to fix an overheating VIP722K by replacing the thermal paste between the processor and its heatsink?

I've had good results doing that with overheating laptops of the same era. Figured I'd check if anyone's done it before I give it a try.

i had the same problem i removed the cover and my fan siezed up. i bought a fan from a junk 722k frm ebay $14 dollers and replaced the fan in it and it worked no problems now .

Reactions: TheKrell
I have had to swap fans as well and that stopped the over heating problem as well. The fans only work so long.The info on the forum some where of what other people have done if you can' find a donor 722. extreme fix hxxps://www.ebay.com/itm/Dish-VIP-722-622-922-612-etc-Cooling-Fans-with-thermoswitch-multi-speed-/360326170257 . change the xx to tt

Has anyone tried to fix an overheating VIP722K by replacing the thermal paste between the processor and its heatsink?

I've had good results doing that with overheating laptops of the same era. Figured I'd check if anyone's done it before I give it a try.
What is the receiver doing, shutting down every 5 or 10 mins ?

My brother's 722 makes a very irritating sound constantly.To me it sounds like the fan running.I wonder if thermal paste is all it needs also.
My 622 keeps soldiering on even though I think the hard drive has developed some errors-not enough to do anything about in any case.

The fans in them are junk. One of mine got so hot it melted the rubber feet. I encourage you to replace it with something newer, it's old, slow, outdated tech anyway.

Thermal paste ordinarily does not go bad. It is sandwiched between the CPU and the heat sink and does not degrade with time or heat and has very little surface area exposed to the atmosphere.

Reactions: navychop
Thermal paste ordinarily does not go bad. It is sandwiched between the CPU and the heat sink and does not degrade with time or heat and has very little surface area exposed to the atmosphere.
I had a custom build computer and 5 yrs into it I was having major heat problems, and checked, all my thermal paste was about gone. Cleaning the sink and new paste fixed it right up so now I do it yearly

I too have encountered crappy heat sink grease that dried out and became useless over time.

Reactions: HipKat
I had a video card once that was running hot. So I removed the heat sink, cleaned, applied new quality paste. IIRC the temp dropped 10 degrees C. The original paste was cheap, poorly applied, and was drying out.

Kinda late on here, but thermal paste usually degrades with temperature extremes. It depends on what paste you use but the factory paste is typically on the lower end of heat transfer performance but it can take a fair bit of temperature for 4-10 years depending on what they used. After that the degradation will probably leave you with 5-15 Celsius higher temperatures. Though it is important to note that it (probably) won't get worse than that- pastes are built to not turn into powder for many many years.

Higher performance after market pastes usually have lower maximum temperatures. The pastes degrade more quickly the closer you are to the maximum temperature. So a data center with core temps of 40c will probably not have to replace the paste for the life of the server (2-6 years). On the other hand, if you put a high end paste on an air-cooled consumer computer, you will get worse thermal performance after 1-3 years.

Factory pastes are usually applied with the screen method- so it usually doesn't leave any air bubbles like it might if you apply it at home (this also contributes to longevity). However, if the application was poor to begin with- all bets are off. The dish receivers say they are made in India, where labor is pretty cheap. It is quite someone squirts a little bit of paste before everything is sandwiched together.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts