VIP 722k Receivers Still Available?

OK, called back to Dish and was escalated to a more senior tech support rep and, after she tried her best to get them to upgrade to Hopper, she agreed to ship out a replacement VIP722k DVR for a $15 shipping charge. But I did get her to credit a week of free service for the disruption. They don't even want the old 722 with the busted hard drive sent back to them, so I guess it's going into the landfill.

This will keep them with Dish, contract-free, for at least a little while longer. I know that there will be some new streaming TV services coming out from DirecTV and T-Mobile in the next few months and one of those might be a good option for them longer-term.
Do your parents receive OTA locals? You will need the MT2 module to receive them with a 722K.

Do your parents receive OTA locals? You will need the MT2 module to receive them with a 722K.

Thanks, yes, they do have a small OTA antenna connected directly to one of their TVs and occasionally watch something via OTA but not really enough to bother with additional equipment to integrate it into their Dish DVR. Years ago when I had Dish, I had the 722 (not 722k) and I connected an OTA antenna to it. If I recall correctly, that box didn't require any additional module, it had the OTA tuner built-in.

Reactions: TheKrell
Thanks, yes, they do have a small OTA antenna connected directly to one of their TVs and occasionally watch something via OTA but not really enough to bother with additional equipment to integrate it into their Dish DVR. Years ago when I had Dish, I had the 722 (not 722k) and I connected an OTA antenna to it. If I recall correctly, that box didn't require any additional module, it had the OTA tuner built-in.
You could ask Dish to include the MT2 module since you currently have the capability to receive locals and the receiver they are sending you won't have it.