VIP receivers obsolete

My primary receiver (and the only one I keep activated full-time) is a purchased ViP222k. So, they had better not be obsolete! Having said that, the screensaver has been changed to nothing but messages advertising about the benefits of upgrading to a Hopper. I started a thread about that awhile back when it happened.

While they are not technically obsolete, they can't be activated on new accounts.
That is good to know. I just got my sister set up with a new account. Fortunately, I had a purchased Wally that she could use, rather than try to activate a ViP211k. Even then, though, Dish's sales department did not want to set up the account with a purchased receiver, or with a Wally at all. They set her up with a leased Hopper Duo. So, when the technician arrived, we simply refused the Hopper Duo and had him add the Wally to the account instead. (Technically, this still required him to activate the Hopper Duo to close out that work order, before adding the Wally and removing the Hopper Duo. The Hopper Duo was never actually hooked up, though.)
On a side note, I've got 2 upgrades scheduled for tomorrow. One customer currently has a single 625, the other has a 222k and a 322.
What model of Hopper are they getting? ;)

Reactions: Tvland1
That is good to know. I just got my sister set up with a new account. Fortunately, I had a purchased Wally that she could use, rather than try to activate a ViP211k. Even then, though, Dish's sales department did not want to set up the account with a purchased receiver, or with a Wally at all. They set her up with a leased Hopper Duo. So, when the technician arrived, we simply refused the Hopper Duo and had him add the Wally to the account instead. (Technically, this still required him to activate the Hopper Duo to close out that work order, before adding the Wally and removing the Hopper Duo. The Hopper Duo was never actually hooked up, though.)

What model of Hopper are they getting? ;)

H3/J3 and H3/2-J3's

Reactions: pattykay
You can still activate a vip211k and 222k on the pay as you go account..
Thanks! When I was setting up my sister's account, I probably should have pressed harder on asking about the pay as you go option. My first call was about my existing account, to let Dish know that I sold the Wally. (We had already assumed that she would have to use a Wally instead of a ViP211k.) Then, on the same phone call, I asked about using the Wally to set up a new account. At that point, I asked if there was a pay as you go option, and I was told yes. However, that agent had to transfer me to the sales department so that they could sell her the new account. It was a little bit of a hassle to go through, but she seems to be happy with the Wally now. :)

I activated mine through Dish4MyRv...best CSR ...Tom is good person to talk to
How long ago? was told by multiple CSR, that they can't activated them on new flex account in the early part of 2019, only has a replacement on SD or VIP account
[automerge]1578052913[/automerge]

Reactions: JSheridan
How long ago? was told by multiple CSR, that they can't activated them on new flex account in the early part of 2019, only has a replacement on SD or VIP account
[automerge]1578052913[/automerge]
I posted about this on OCT 29th...CSR through Dish will not work..You have to use Pay as you go account...Mine was activated on October 28 2019 and I added another VIP222K on dec12 to the account.. technically I have 2 222's and a 211 on the account but only using one of the 222's.Just wanted another one on the account before they wouldn't activate them.

I posted about this on OCT 29th...CSR through Dish will not work..You have to use Pay as you go account...Mine was activated on October 28 2019 and I added another VIP222K on dec12 to the account.. technically I have 2 222's and a 211 on the account but only using one of the 222's.Just wanted another one on the account before they wouldn't activate them.
So your primary receiver was a 211?

So your primary receiver was a 211?
I'm guessing my primary is the first 222..I gave him that receiver info first then the 211..on MyDish account shows the 222 then the 211 and another 222 that's not active currently..I only pay the $7 additional receiver fee for the 211 the other 222 is another $14 fee but I turned it off right after having it activated...

I have been using my vip211k since I purchased it around 2009. Ten years old and it still runs great. ...
Ten years is about as long as I have ever had a ViP211 last. That was an original silver ViP211, though. I hope I didn't just jinx you. I have not had my ViP211k's long enough to know if they will last as long as that. If you ever need a replacement receiver, though, I still have three purchased ViP211k's that I am not using. :)

I like the vip silver edition, over the vip k series, silver edition has less fail rate, easier to repair
Yep, me too...
We had 2 silver VIP 222s, and loved them due to the plethora of audio/video inputs & outputs, which have been removed from newer models.
When we canceled Dish in October, due to moving into a condo, Dish told us to toss the 222s...

Felt horrible doing so, as they still work so well... :(

My 722k is 10 years old this June. I have the Carling Cup final that Liverpool FC won in penalties in February 2012 on the EHD still. Which also means that EHD has quite a few years on it too!

The 722k had a short stretch of wonky behavior and I thought I'd need to replace it, but the trouble went away. I've kept mine out (not enclosed in an HTS) to allow for easy ventilation.

My 722k is 10 years old this June. I have the Carling Cup final that Liverpool FC won in penalties in February 2012 on the EHD still. Which also means that EHD has quite a few years on it too!

The 722k had a short stretch of wonky behavior and I thought I'd need to replace it, but the trouble went away. I've kept mine out (not enclosed in an HTS) to allow for easy ventilation.
When was your stretch of wonky behavior? I had trouble with my ViP722k around the end of 2017. I think there might have been a software issue with that model around then. My trouble went away on its own, but just to be on the safe side, I was proactive, and I replaced the internal hard drive with one that I had salvaged from another receiver that died due to a different issue. I later sold that ViP722k to a member here who needed one, so I do not know how much longer it lasted after that. Hopefully, it still works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)