VIP receivers

It's been at least 10 years since they manufactured any ViP receivers, so the youngest ones out there are at least 10 years old...pretty much near end of life for something like a DVR that runs 24/7. They ran hot as well and suffered from the capacitor issue that plagued electronics made back then.

Is it true that a Hopper will not work if you take it camping? If so what is the solution to this issue

Sounds like old VIP receivers are pretty much on the way out the door.
The beautiful thing about the VIP receivers is they have that built-in OTA tuner. My vip211k I also have a 1tb HDD connected. It is too bad Dish did not come out with an updated version that would also handle streaming. I have my Fire Cube with the Dish Anywhere app on that.

I'm with you mwdxer1.
The beautiful thing about the VIP receivers is they have that built-in OTA tuner.
I never laid eyes on a 211z, but IIRC it had to use the USB dongle for it's OTA tuner. The 722k (was there a 222k?) also used a slide-in module for it's 2 OTA tuners. To complete the exhausting list of VIP receivers that didn't have tuners out of the box, I believe the 922 also took the module. Did I leave any receiver out?

On the other side of the ledger, the 411 was just like a 211 except it had no Ethernet jack so couldn't be called a VIP receiver.
My vip211k I also have a 1tb HDD connected. It is too bad Dish did not come out with an updated version that would also handle streaming.
I see a Wally in your future. 2 satellite tuners and 2 OTA tuners, and it can stream. I've never had a Wally either but I believe it can take some apps as well.

We still have our ViP 211 and 211k on our Vacation Home account, they’re still going strong. I had to replace the blown cap on the 211 but it’s run fine after that.

I’ll shed a tear when we have to replace them and I lose access to the old EHD programs…

Reactions: TheKrell
All VIP still and very happy with how trouble free they have been years and years. I have had to replace them over the many years but certainly not often. Best thing that happened was no new updates. :)

My 211K still chugging along, kind of surprised really. Once it starts faltering we might not replace it. Lifestyle and budget considerations, &c.

My 722k was on its last legs and acting weirdly years ago... and then it got better. Probably near 10 years with it now. I don't have it enclosed, so it can breath, which probably helps.

Reactions: JackNet and Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest posts