VIP211 & EHD problems

wolfjc

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 23, 2006
Cincinnati
I have this problem my center speaker, from my AV receiver, decided to learn to fly but since it does not have wings this failed and it crashed onto my EHD killing it.
After I had replaced the speaker I found out that VIP software wanted me to reformat the EHD but it said that there is an error preventing it from reformatting my EHD.
I know that I have to buy a new EHD but in talking with phone support it seemed to me that if I ever disconnect the EHD the software will want to reformat it.
This does not seem to be very good. The software should be able to tell that it is already formatted. Do any one of you folks know if this is, in fact true?
Thanks in advance.

Disconnect and power off the EHD. Re-boot (unplug) the receiver. Once the receiver is up and running, plug the EHD in then power up. See what happens.

I've unplugged and replugged my hard drive back in a coupe times (took receiver outside when I was tweaking the dish) and its never asked me to reformat it

It happens. If you swap drives and the receiver is powered on it does want to reformat the drive. Don't simply do as suggested unplug the receiver and the EHD then power the receiver and the EHD up and after your receiver acquires signal and perhaps downloads the guide everything will be good to go.

If it is happening frequently then you made need to replace the drive.

Disconnect and power off the EHD. Re-boot (unplug) the receiver. Once the receiver is up and running, plug the EHD in then power up. See what happens.

I did that but nothing changed.
So I went out and bought a Seagate 1TB drive and it works just fine.
Thanks to all of you who tried to help me. This shows the value of this board.

I have changed my opinion on what is best for external storage. Instead of having all my programming in a single big bucket I will use several drives so that if one drive fails I will still have another sources for programming.

The failed Seagate drive was sixteen months old and had 10,550 hours on it according to the Seagate diagnostics. The drive that failed was still under warranty and Seagate is replacing it. When I receive the warranty exchange I will rotate EHD drives every sixty days so I always have some programming available on at least one working drive.

While drives can't be swapped hot it is still a trivial process to move EHD between similar receivers.

I have changed my opinion on what is best for external storage. Instead of having all my programming in a single big bucket I will use several drives so that if one drive fails I will still have another sources for programming.
Ding. Ding. Ding. Give that man a cigar!!! :clap

I believe anything over 1T is asking for trouble. I am using two 500 GB's in docking stations.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)