ViP211: L3.46 adds Broadband and DishComm

mdonnelly

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 26, 2004
Mustang, OK
I just noticed a setup selection for Broadband and DishComm on the ViP211 install menu. L3.46 downloaded yesterday, and I don't think those features were available before that.

Sometime this weekend I'll try running a cable to the receiver and see how it reacts. DishComm looked around for compatible devices, but didn't find any in my house. :(

I got the L3.46 on 2 of my VIP211's. You need to add the device in the setup for it to find anything. On one receiver, i added the "R" number of the second receiver that has DishComm and it found it. When the other 2 receivers get the update, i'll add them.
Hope this helps

What about non-VIP SD receivers? Do I have to manually add the VIP receiver numbers for each receiver for this function to work or does it autoseek and find? If you have to manually add it, what purpose does it serve?

Does this mean that the VIP211 can Dishcomm the broadband connection off of my VIP722?

I don't have ethernet on my VIP211's, but I'd set up Dishcomm if this works.

You can't force a firmware download until it's in "Full" release. L3.46 is still in "Partial" release, so it's only going to a subset of the 211 receivers.

This sucks because I just did an install for a guy who was getting a 722/211 setup. The 211 was to be installed upstairs and it was adjacent to a phone jack. When it downloaded, it only took the 435, not the 436. So, we couldn't DishComm his 722. We had to put in another solution at his cost. Bummer.

This sucks because I just did an install for a guy who was getting a 722/211 setup. The 211 was to be installed upstairs and it was adjacent to a phone jack. When it downloaded, it only took the 435, not the 436. So, we couldn't DishComm his 722. We had to put in another solution at his cost. Bummer.
That does suck. It's supposed to go "Full Phase" tomorrow (2/27/2008).
Code:
Tech Updates

2/26/2007: 1000 Software Version L4.36 for ViP 211/DISH 411

Effective Wednesday, February 27th, Engineering plans to spool the FULL PHASE of software version L4.36 for the ViP 211/DISH 411 receiver. This is primarily a non-forced maintenance release available at ALL satellite locations.

At this time L4.36 will be the valid software version for the ViP 211/DISH 411.

If I only have one 211 and no other receivers is there any advantage to making a LAN connection? I connected my 211 and found the IP address on the installation page but there is no difference when looking up my statement on channel 100-it still had to dial in. I was under the impression that IP connectivity was supposed to eliminate the need for a phone line.

If I only have one 211 and no other receivers is there any advantage to making a LAN connection? I connected my 211 and found the IP address on the installation page but there is no difference when looking up my statement on channel 100-it still had to dial in. I was under the impression that IP connectivity was supposed to eliminate the need for a phone line.

DISH might not have your statement available online for your receiver to view. A phone connection would be more secure than to transmit that information over a public venue like the internet. I would be interested in knowing if someone with a 722 can view their statement from their receiver with solely an ethernet connection and with no phone line attached.

DISH might not have your statement available online for your receiver to view. A phone connection would be more secure than to transmit that information over a public venue like the internet. I would be interested in knowing if someone with a 722 can view their statement from their receiver with solely an ethernet connection and with no phone line attached.

That's a good point concerning security. I'm just curious if there are any other benefits from this new connectivity.

I would be interested in knowing if someone with a 722 can view their statement from their receiver with solely an ethernet connection and with no phone line attached.
My Ethernet-only 722 complains about the lack of a phone line when I attempt the on-screen statement display.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)