ViP211® and ViP211k® DVR Conversion Feature Now Available to Customers

You had better check with Dish Network first to see if this unit is compatible with your MDU setup. Often they use a different technology in an MDU setting and I am not sure the 211 will work with it.

You know, now that you mention that, I vaguely remember the Dish retailer who set me up at my apartment saying something like if I chose to get HD service, that I wouldn't be able to receive DVR functions. What is the deal with that? I know you said there is a "different technology" used on MDU's. Is it just that the dish system can't handle both features to the same unit?

How on earth would you be able to record one show and watch another??? I thought the 211 only had one tuner in it? (aside from the OTA tuner)

How on earth would you be able to record one show and watch another??? I thought the 211 only had one tuner in it? (aside from the OTA tuner)
You can watch one recorded show while recording another, either from the OTA tuner or the sat tuner. For the 722/622/612 receivers, you can actually watch one recorded show while recording 3 others, as long as one and only one of the 3 is coming OTA.

The Tech recap says:

Dvrs:
How to turn your stand alone receiver into a Dvr
In the next week we will be rolling out software to turn your ViP 211 and ViP 211k boxes into Dvrs.
How: Buy a standalone Hard Drive and hook it up to your Vip 211 or 211k you will have access to all normal Dvr functions... you will have a 9 day guide instead of a 2 day guide, you will be able to watch one satellite program and record another or record an OTA program...

I'm anxious to see this on a 1 tuner receiver.

You know, now that you mention that, I vaguely remember the Dish retailer who set me up at my apartment saying something like if I chose to get HD service, that I wouldn't be able to receive DVR functions. What is the deal with that? I know you said there is a "different technology" used on MDU's. Is it just that the dish system can't handle both features to the same unit?

There are many here that are more expert than me on this question, but as I recall the MDU setups often use a QAM headend that is similar is some ways to cable TV. I think the 622 is compatible with MDU setups, and the old model 811 was for sure (not a DVR). Check with Dish Network to be sure, or perhaps someone else has more info on this.

Well, Ok about the purpose of the program. There are however some of us that are already leasing the max number of tuners, and need a third HD tuner. I've been with Dish since their first year, and am leasing two 622s, so I can only purchase another receiver. It seems to me a 211 + EHD would cost more than a 612, and I was just wondering what other considerations were in play.

Well, there is the monthly DVR fee that "apparently" is not applied to the 211 & EHD. That would be $60+/year you would save over the 612, though the 612 has two tuners...

Dish approved drives

P. Smith suggested that the drives for existing DVRs will work with the 211.

I found drives from WD and Seagate that are approved.

Attachments

• Seagate_showcase.pdf
    131.9 KB · Views: 298
  • WD My DVR Expander.pdf
    266.9 KB · Views: 418
Here come all of the "Why don't I have the update yet?" and "I called customer service and they don't know anything about it" Posts.

Looks like mine hasn't been updated yet. No worries, I don't have a hard drive to use yet anyway.
This is for the 211-not-k models. The 211K update hasn't started downloading.

P. Smith suggested that the drives for existing DVRs will work with the 211.

I found drives from WD and Seagate that are approved.

Looks like Dell is selling the WD model for a reasonable price. But, $150 for one of these is a bit steep. Both, as USB2 models, must be fairly new based on their limited availability (especially the Seagate model). Maybe Amazon will stock them soon at a bargain price with free shipping.

I just got off of the phone with Dish and there is no monthly charge after the 39.99 and make sure the external drive does not have a sleep mode or that the sleep mode can be shut down. It is available now for software L523.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)