Vip211 w/EHD

No. Can't say exactly why. Probably a combination of chip sets and software incompatibilities. Remember, the 211 is not a DVR out of the box.

IMHO Dish should be doing something useful with all VIP receivers' Ethernet jack, including non DVRs. "VIP" after all originally stood for "video (over) IP". I don't believe a 211 is too feeble-minded to stream HD video over the Internet. It can stream from satellite, after all, and may sub-$100 STBs can do this no problem.

Staging the data on a hard drive before display needlessly complicates the issue.

TheKrell said:
....Staging the data on a hard drive before display needlessly complicates the issue.

But can lead to higher PQ on slower connections.

yeah, not working on the 211k will be a deal breaker for us, only have one Dvr, the other two are 211k with ehd. Unless it will work on ps3 and xbox, and maybe roku as I am considering getting one, then it will be a no go. Plus the closest blockbuster is like 40min away so the exchange perk will be useless. Already dropped netflix, leaning towards hulu plus atm. Although our contract is up at the end of the next month, def won't turn it down if we can get for free like new subs ;-), then I can also get hulu.

I don't see why the 211k + external hard drive ,which turns it into a dvr , can't do Blockbuster streaming as well. IF all is needed is the receiver to be a VIP receiver and a dvr at that , the 211k + external hard drive, should qualify .

Of course. It's called a 'buffer'. It happens on any streaming device, including non-hard drive STBs like Roku, and even smartphones (they buffer to RAM).
Yes, but Navychop was specifically discussing sending down video and storing it over time, so that higher PQ was available than could be attained in real time. If it's not done in real time, I don't want to call it "streaming".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts