VIP211K for FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

homewhileyoudrive

Original poster
Dec 29, 2011
RV Full Time, USA
I am wondering if the Dish Network VIP211K can be used for FTA reception. If so, does it need reprogrammed or can it just be pointed to the particular sat?

Thanks for the help,
Vick

Hello Vick,

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

The Dish receivers aren't capable of doing much when they aren't activated. When they are activated, they receive programming from the specific set of Dish satellites programmed into the software. So they would not be able to view FTA in either situation.

Regards,
Byron

Like it was mentioned above there isn't much you can due with dish receivers but there is one model in particular that is fun to play with and convert into a pansat 2500/2700 with a little soldering and a jtag.If you can find a 301.013 receiver for free or fairly cheap it is easy to convert and be used for fta somewhat.

You'd be better served scrounging up an old Coolsat 5000 or 6000 FTA receiver.
Stock firmware isn't bad, but we do have a slightly modified 3rd party firmware available for it.

There are other good older FTA receivers.
I particularly like the Visionsat IV-200.
It had excellent firmware support from one of our gold sponsors.

But before paying for some arbitrary junker receiver, ask here first.
And don't expect every old box to be useful. ;)

Thank you guys so much for the info. You all have been a great help. I will keep an eye out for one of the other recievers mentioned. And if I have any questions, I will make sure to come here first... Once again, thank you everyone.

I'd recommend you come here (the FTA forum) regularly. - :up
You're also welcome in the other many departments (I suppose...if you must). ;)
(I've begun spending a little time over in Cell Phones)

Read through any of the threads that catch your interest.
If you have questions about programs, satellites, hardware, or pretty much anything related, we're here to help.
There are some guides and FAQs, but I know sometimes it's hard to know enough to even know what to ask.
That's fine, too. We all started somewhere.
There are many FTAers here happily watching things they couldn't get otherwise.
We're all glad to assist more folks joining the hobby.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts