VIP222 End Of Life

Why not stock Wally’s in there place, and when an exchange is ordered, replace with a Wally? Reduces extra stock you won’t be able to move afterwards...

Why not stock Wally’s in there place, and when an exchange is ordered, replace with a Wally? Reduces extra stock you won’t be able to move afterwards...

We install quite a few Wally's but we've found that most old folks hate Wally's and the new remotes. We installed 2 211K's yesterday for a couple in their 80's who still have a rotary dial land line. They have no cell phones or computers and wanted the simplest thing they could get. The 211K's are very simple and extremely reliable and the old style remotes and interface seem to work better for old folks. :)

I haven’t messed with the 211z, but how does it compare, and is it on the chopping block?

The Z has no built in OTA, no channel 3/4 output and no component outputs. In our experience it's been 'less reliable' than the K model.

DISH has been very vague about the 211 end of life and they haven't specified between the plain 211, the 211K or the 211Z. I'll let you know when we find out more. :)

Reactions: HipKat and ChadT41
I haven’t messed with the 211z, but how does it compare, and is it on the chopping block?
The Z has no built in OTA, no channel 3/4 output and no component outputs. In our experience it's been 'less reliable' than the K model.

DISH has been very vague about the 211 end of life and they haven't specified between the plain 211, the 211K or the 211Z. I'll let you know when we find out more. :)
Based on lack of OTA alone, I could easily see Dish phasing out the 211z long before ever phasing out the 211k, which seems to be very popular for the reasons pointed out above. The original 211's seem to be dying out on their own, at least the ones I have used and read about on this forum. Remember, they are over 11 years old at this point.

Reactions: JSheridan
the Wally also has two satellite tuners enabled. So, twice the number of tuners as the 211z, for the same monthly cost.
I did not know that, so with a hdd enabled you can watch one show while recording the other? Not that I doubt you but I never heard wally had 2 sat tuners.

I did not know that, so with a hdd enabled you can watch one show while recording the other? Not that I doubt you but I never heard wally had 2 sat tuners.
It just went public this week. Apparently the Wally is just like the dual-tuner OTA dongle, with two tuners built-in, but originally released with software support for only one active tuner, leaving everyone waiting for a software update to activate the second tuner. U430 enables dual-tuner functionality on the Wally.

It just went public this week. Apparently the Wally is just like the dual-tuner OTA dongle, with two tuners built-in, but originally released with software support for only one active tuner, leaving everyone waiting for a software update to activate the second tuner. U430 enables dual-tuner functionality on the Wally.

Does the dual tuner function work with DPP LNB's or only with Hybrid LNB's?

Does the dual tuner function work with DPP LNB's or only with Hybrid LNB's?
So far, the only application I've read about with Wallys and Hybrid is using a 42 switch on commercial jobs with the new channel stacking splitters. I know some guys have done it, but I have yet to see these splitters or come across this setup

Reactions: JSheridan
I have never used a Hybrid LNB. It works just fine for me with DPP LNB's and a DPP44 switch. The separator is built-in to the Wally, so only one coax connection is needed for both tuners.
I found the second tuner on my Wally with DPP but I haven't found out how to display the 2nd tuner output. Did a chat and all I could get out of DISH was this was beta software and might change day to day. So far I don't really consider this a dual tuner receiver just another DISH software play toy.

UGH! DISH, stop forcing Hoppers and Wallys down our legacy throats!
What I have found so far is the Wally is not really a dual tuner receiver in the sense of a 722K, it does have 2 tuners but the second is only usable for recording to an accessory hard drive. That little receiver has more plumbing hanging out the back of it to come loose and cause problems than is necessary.

I have always thought Dish missed an opportunity by not enabling the EHD on the ViP222, but that would have probably depressed distribution if the 722, which the 222 with EHD would have duplicated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts