VIP222 End Of Life

Can Hoppers and/or Wallies handle HEVC?

Wally, Hopper 3, 4K Joey, and almost positive Joey 3.0 support HEVC. Hopper1 and HWS do not. Unsure if Joey 2.0 does but I'm confident it does not, and I'm 99% certain that the Wireless Joey doesn't either (but should get some sort of replacement because it runs like a dog now).

I have always thought Dish missed an opportunity by not enabling the EHD on the ViP222, but that would have probably depressed distribution if the 722, which the 222 with EHD would have duplicated.

I believe it was posted here that the earliest chipsets used in the ViP222 couldn’t support it. True? Who knows?

Wally, Hopper 3, 4K Joey, and almost positive Joey 3.0 support HEVC. Hopper1 and HWS do not. Unsure if Joey 2.0 does but I'm confident it does not, and I'm 99% certain that the Wireless Joey doesn't either (but should get some sort of replacement because it runs like a dog now).

The Joey2 does not do HEVC. The Joey 3 will do HEVC. The software update U506 was to implement HEVC so it could be used for the Joey 3. Are you sure that the 4K Joey does HEVC? I had not heard that.

The Joey2 does not do HEVC. The Joey 3 will do HEVC. The software update U506 was to implement HEVC so it could be used for the Joey 3. Are you sure that the 4K Joey does HEVC? I had not heard that.

Logically that would make sense. HEVC/H.266 is the most space efficient way for 4K content(and is why they created it). Otherwise dish would have to convert their 4K content to H.264/MPEG-4 before broadcasting.

I agree the 211k is one simple HD receiver. With a decent OTA tuner, DVR function with the outboard HDD and no fees. The one time $40 HDD fee to activate, was well worth it. Any changes in HDD, no new charges. I may buy a back up 211k for the future. They are under $100.

Reactions: TheKrell
I agree the 211k is one simple HD receiver. With a decent OTA tuner, DVR function with the outboard HDD and no fees. The one time $40 HDD fee to activate, was well worth it. Any changes in HDD, no new charges. I may buy a back up 211k for the future. They are under $100.
Invest your money in a Wally and put it in the closet until you acquire all the components you need for a complete system. I don't like the Wally but it is the future.

I have always thought Dish missed an opportunity by not enabling the EHD on the ViP222, but that would have probably depressed distribution if the 722, which the 222 with EHD would have duplicated.
And it would have depressed distribution of the 211, which the 222 with EHD would have surpassed. I held off getting a 211 for awhile, waiting for EHD to be enabled on the 222. Then I finally gave up.

I believe it was posted here that the earliest chipsets used in the ViP222 couldn’t support it. True? Who knows?
Perhaps it is too complicated to do PIP with an EHD. Remember that the new Wally dual-tuner functionality does not include PIP. Dish also never enabled PIP on the 4K Joey, which basically uses the Hopper as an external hard drive.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts