vip222 instal issue

jcart

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 8, 2007
I'm a long time Dish Network customer but we recently upgraded to the Vip222 and I'm having a problem. For the longest time we've been using two dishes, one dish 500 and one dish 300, feeding 2 SW21 switches. One of the SW21's feeds the upstairs TV and the other feeds the downstairs TV. In the box for the Vip222 comes a seperator prewired with two short coax's to feed tuner1 and 2 from a single line. During the switch test only one tuner recognizes the satallites and when I switch the inputs it also switches the tuner that recognizes. Does anybody know how I can get both tuners to recognize the satallites?

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
A DP separator can only be used with Dish Pro Plus equipment, a DPP Twin LNB or a DPP44 switch. You need to upgrade your LNB or your switch.

The 222 is a dual tuner receiver so if you go with a DP34 switch you'll need two cables for the receiver and you can't use the separator either.

jcart

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 8, 2007
What's the difference between Dish Pro and Dish Pro Plus equipment? It would be nice if I could use the DP 21 instead due to the price difference.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
How many receivers do you have and what models? I suggest you get a DPP Twin lnb and you can run 2 receivers off this lnb. A DP21 will only give you one output plus you'll need to replace the LNBs since they are Legacy and you'll need Dish Pro LNBs.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
The "Plus" means it supports feeding a dual tuner machine with a single line in connected to a separator.

jcart

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 8, 2007
We have an old DVR-501 that we will be running downstairs and the new Vip222 upstairs.

Sounds like it's either DPP twin LNB and run an extra coax to the upstairs to feed both tuners or the DPP44 switch. Is that correct?

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
If you get a DPP Twin then you don't need to run a second cable. You can use the separator that came with the receiver and feed both tuners from a single coax connection to the lnb. But you will also need to replace the lnb on the dish 300 with a dish pro dual.

jcart

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 8, 2007
It sounds to me like the switch is the only option because the two dishes are currently pointed at different satallites feeding the two existing switches that comines the signals into a single coax to each reciever. If I just bought the DPP dual LNB's I would still need the switches to combine the signals for a singel coax feed to each reciever. Is that correct of am I confusing myself even more?

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
We have an old DVR-501 that we will be running downstairs and the new Vip222 upstairs.

Sounds like it's either DPP twin LNB and run an extra coax to the upstairs to feed both tuners or the DPP44 switch. Is that correct?

Since you only have two receivers, go with a DPP Twin and a DP Dual for the 300 dish. Go with the DPP44 switch only if you plan to add more receivers in the future but you also need to buy the DPP Twin and a DP dual since your current LNBs will not work with the DPP44 switch.

jcart

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 8, 2007
Okay, this leads me to more questions. We are currently picking up SAT's 110, 119, and 148 with the current setup. I'm told I need to pick up SAT 129 for the the HD channels. Can I pick up all four of these with just my two existing dishes?

Actually we were told that the dish 300 was currently being used only to pick up SAT148 for some obscure local stations. If that's true we could probably forget about SAT 148 and stick to 110, 119, and 129.

Can this be done without the use of a switch? I'm thinking if I was using two dishes to feed two recievers seperately I would only be able to pick up two sat's per dish. The Vip222 will need to pick up three to mainatain our current channel selection plus HD correct?

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
Forget about 148, your local stations have moved by now. Just aim 148 to 129 and you're good to go. Remember all equipment must be Dish Pro or Dish Pro Plus.

DPP Twin LNB
DP Dual LNB

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts