Vip222 TV2 remote with MCE

jcart

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 8, 2007
Is there any way to get Windows MCE to recognize the UHF remote for TV2 on the Vip222? We want to use it for recording while keeping TV1 as our primary viewing.

Is there any way to get Windows MCE to recognize the UHF remote for TV2 on the Vip222? We want to use it for recording while keeping TV1 as our primary viewing.

I beleive the UHF remote is also a learning IR remote. If you want to program all the buttons and get an IR receiver (you can order one with a cheap MCE remote), it should work.

I think the OP is saying he wants to control the receiver (TV2 UHF-Pro) with the MCE (IR only).

Won't happen until Dish releases either the firmware fix a bunch of us have been asking for, or the extra cost hardware device to convert IR signals to UHF Pro.

The only learning Dish remotes are the new (21.x +) ones.

So, I'm thinking for now I just leave the IR blaster disconnected and program it with the remote from TV1 just to get past the settup screen. Then controll them seperately. This won't work for contolling live TV but it least we can record shows this way.

...at least I think it will work.

DISH offers a piece of equipment that converts an IR signal for the TV2 on some of thier models, ViP222 included. With this and the IR transmitter adapter for the PC/MCE remote, you would have a working solution (though need for ALOT more stuff!) They tend to run about $40 - though you could always ASK for one by calling the support line, or the DISH guy when he comes out. I can't yet post the link where this info came from (need 3 posts!) but here's a way to search for it - go to the dish network website and search for "TV2 IR Converter" and you'll get the info you need.

tv2irconverter.jpg

Description:
The TV2 Converter provides infared (IR) control of TV2 on a two-TV receiver. Currently TV2 can only be conrolled using UHF Pro, and applications that require IR control, such as external Slingbox or most univeral remote controls are not possible on TV2.

Note: This equipment is not available through direct sale; please contact your local DISH Network Retailer to purchase this equipment.​
Supported Receivers:
  • DISH 322
  • DISH Player 522
  • DISH Player 625
  • DISH Player 942
  • ViP 222
  • ViP 222k
  • ViP 622
  • ViP 722
  • ViP 722k
Contents
  • TV2 IR Converter with Sensor
  • IR Cable for Slingbox
  • Three 10" RG-6 Coax Cable
  • Two-Way Splitter
  • DC Power Supply
  • Installation Manual
  • Hook and Loop Fastener
Connectivity Scenarios:
  • Converter is used at TV2 with any universal IR or DISH Network IR remote control

tv2irconverter_basic.jpg
  • Converter is used to control TV2 with a Slingbox, with independent control of TV2. Note: receiver is in Dual Mode.
    tv2irconverter_sling1.jpg
  • Converter is used to control TV2 with a Slingbox, but independent control of TV2 is not required. Note: receiver is in Single Mode.
    tv2irconverter_sling2.jpg
Considerations:
  • If the Converter is used at TV2 with a DISH Network remote (excluding 222k and 722k)
    1. Flip the remote's key to show the black UHF side; for replacement remote kits, the silver IR key will also work.

Note: this still controls TV2
    2. Set the Converter for TV2

Note: If the Converter is used to control a 322, 522, 625 or 942, you must set the Converter to Band A and set the Converter's TV 2/1 switch accordingly.
  • If the Converter is used to control a 222k or 722k
    1. Set the Converter to Band A if the remote used an odd-numbered adderss; set to Band B if the remote uses an even-numbered address; set the Converter's TV 2/1 switch accordingly.
    2. Leave the remote key as Blue TV2, but set the UHF / IR switch inside the receiver's 21.0 remote controls battery compartment to IR.
  • If the Converter is used to control TV2 with a Slingbox, and you also want independent control of TV2, you must set the Converter to TV2 and set the remotes as follows:
    • TV1's address is set to anything but address 1
    • TV2's address must be 1 and the Band A/B switch inside the battery compartment on the TV2 remote control must match the A/B switch on the Converter

Thursday June 11 2009 © 2009 Dish Network L.L.C. All rights reserved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)