VIP222

clemson726

Original poster
Aug 30, 2011
SC
I have a VIP222 receiver that I'm wanting to take on a camping trip over Labor Day. I found a Dish 500 and 300 to use, but the 500 has DPP LNBs on it which I'm finding out won't work with the receiver. If I unhook any of the 3 (110,119,61.5) satellites from the switch it gives me a "complete signal loss" error (when attached to the current switch for the house). If I do a switch check it tells me that it can't find as many satellites as it previously did, and that I'll experience channel loss which I can deal with. But then it just craps out telling me I have "complete signal loss" again. Is there any way possible for me to use the Dish 300 and only feed the receiver 110 or 119?

If the 500 has LNB"S" then they aren't DPP. It only has a dual lnb which can be DPP, but if it has 2 then they have to be a DP single/dual and then you need a 33 or 44 switch to run just 1 line to it (with a separator) since it's a dual tuner receiver or run 2 lines to it from the switch if it's a 34sw or if you don't have the separater. The dish 300 is legacy and will not work afaik.

No its a twin or dual, whatever you wish to call it, not 2 lnbs on the 500. I'm heading out of town Friday afternoon so I don't have time to go find equipment. So, you're saying there's no way to hook one lnb directly to the receiver to get some channels?

Dual and Twin are not the same thing. Dual is a LNB that picks up 1 satellite, and has two outputs. Twin picks up two satellites and has 2 outputs.

If the 500 has a DPPlus Twin LNB, you would be able to use that to pick up 119 and 110, and run a single cable from the LNB to your receiver (using a DPP Separator).

The 300 depends on what LNB it has on it.

ok. so explain why on my current setup that works in the house (110/119 on dish 500 DP DUAL and 61.5 DP single) goes complete signal loss when i unhook 61.5. ? It seems whatever causes that is what is holding me back from just hooking a single lnb pointed towards say 110, straight into the receiver and getting only those channels.

Are you on a channel that only comes off 61.5? You should be able to get to the channels that are on 119/110.

If you disconnect 61.5, and run the check switch test (menu-6-1-1-check switch-test), save the results, you should only have 119 and 110 in your matrix, thus allowing you to only view the 119/110 channels

There's no real advantage to the 61.5 anymore, they split all the hd between 61.5 and 72.7, so you might as well just remove that and do a check switch to make the receiver remove it. If you can get LOS to 129, that'd better than the 6.5 now that they've split the EA up. BUT if you have 61.5 on the 300 dish then you should be able to point it to 110 or 119 of you really needed to.

wardfan is right. HD is moving from 61.5 to 72.7, so with the 119/110/61.5 setup, you are missing some channels, and will be missing more once the move is permanent.

To clemson, if you want me to set up a migration for you (to a full eastern or western arc setup), feel free to PM your account/phone number

i recently moved to 61.5 (giving up some HD) to get my local channels in HD. Thats really the only reason i'm pointed towards 61.5. Anyway, that answers my question on if i could get one satellite's channels without hooking the others in by doing a switch test.........sort of. The reason that I say sort of is because I did that and it ultimately didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong, but the switch test is pretty straight forward so I don't know how I could have. I guess I'll try again tomorrow and see what happens.

What you need is another D500 just like the first one connect to a DPP44 switch and aim it at 61.5 and 72.7, voila, you have all 4 sats and all your HD plus locals.

thanks for all the responses. I figured it out. It was my first experience with DPP. Let me say one sentence and light bulbs will flash in all of your heads. I didn't make it clear in my earlier post, but i had the DPP going through a DP34 switch to the receiver... Rookie mistake, but now I know. When i hooked it in directly and did a switch check it still gave me the errors and said complete signal loss, but then as i was scratching my head to figure out what to do next, the channel guide started loading. I don't know why that is, but it worked. Thanks again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)