VIP222K Stuck on Downloading Software from Satellite (step 3 of 7)

RVFun

Original poster
Jun 21, 2013
New York
Hi, I'm new to this forum and am hoping someone might be able to help me. I am attempting to install a VIP222K in my RV. I have tried with 2 separate satellites, one labeled DP Plus and one labeled DP. No matter what I hook it to, even if its not hooked to anything, as soon as I plug in the receiver it jumps to a screen stating Downloading Software from Satellite (step 3 of 7), Status: installing switch, there is no choice to go to a menu and pressing buttons does no good. I have a triplexer (which came with the receiver) attached to the receiver and also tried (separately) a DP Plus Separator with another switch which was left over from the previous installation of the satellite. After a while I get a screen telling me to check the connections to the cable lines.

When I press continue, I come to the Point Dish screen, which states Not Locked-Name not Acquired. It lists my Zip code, system type 500, Tuner input 01, Transponder 11, Satellite 119. If I click Done is says: "The signal you are receiving is not from the satellite you have selected. Reposition the dish, check the dish connection, or select the correct satellite".

I have clicked Check Switch, then it runs through 38 steps before crashing.

Can anyone tell me if I have a bad box, or if I have connected something wrong? Maybe I am using the wrong satellite? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

If it's showing 38 steps then you have so satellite signal going to the receiver. Are you showing signal for any satellites?

I don't think so. The point dish screen is showing Signal Strength: 0. We bought a compass and think it aimed right, skew set. We also tried a few different locations for the dish

Did you check to make sure you have the correct cable running from the LNB to the receiver and all the fittings are in good shape? It's possible you could have a bad LNB or maybe your dish alignment is off too far.

A satellite dish is not like a TV antenna that is pointed generally in the right direction. A satellite dish is pointed at a satellite 22,300 miles out in space from the equater. It must be aimed exactly at the satellite, the compass heading elevation and skew are starting points and you must fine tune the aim from there.

I think it may be a bad LNB. I've tried hooking it up in every possible configuration and it is still saying no satellites connection. I have it in the middle of a field, bolted to a picnic table, and no matter how much I play with it, still can find no satellites. Looks like I may have to sacrafice and return the 222 and get a 211 with the Tailgater. I guess the kids don't get TV! Thanks

I have tried with 2 separate satellites, one labeled DP Plus and one labeled DP.

Clear as mud! Do you mean to say that you tried 2 separate LNB twins (not satellites), one labeled DP Plus and one labelled DP?

I think it may be a bad LNB.

But you tried two, didn't you? If you have a working DP (not Pro) twin, then use of a separator WILL NOT WORK. Only the DP Pro can feed a dual tuner receiver through a separator.