VIP612 Internet deafness

TheKrell

A mighty and noble race originating on Altair IV.
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 4, 2007
Fairfax, VA
I am having issues keeping my VIP612 connected to the Internet. I can get it to grab another address via DHCP, but nobody can keep it online for long enough to stream or download a movie via DIsh iVOD, making this wired connection practically useless. When we try, it pops up the window saying we have no internet connection. No other equipment in my house has this issue.

In another issue I believe to be separate, I immediately get the error message regarding no internet connection when I select Browse DIsh Movie Pack (from memory so don't quote me on that) to which I am subscribed. Browsing movies or TV programs still works, but as I mentioned above, I can't keep the receiver online long enough to use it.

I am having issues keeping my VIP612 connected to the Internet. I can get it to grab another address via DHCP, but nobody can keep it online for long enough to stream or download a movie via DIsh iVOD, making this wired connection practically useless. When we try, it pops up the window saying we have no internet connection. No other equipment in my house has this issue.

In another issue I believe to be separate, I immediately get the error message regarding no internet connection when I select Browse DIsh Movie Pack (from memory so don't quote me on that) to which I am subscribed. Browsing movies or TV programs still works, but as I mentioned above, I can't keep the receiver online long enough to use it.
I have a purchased ViP612 that I am no longer using, if you want to try switching receivers to see if that solves the problem. It sounds like your receiver (or maybe just the ethernet port) is starting to go bad.

I have a purchased ViP612 that I am no longer using, if you want to try switching receivers to see if that solves the problem. It sounds like your receiver (or maybe just the ethernet port) is starting to go bad.

Thanks crodrules. I am now infinitely confused on what's going on. Not only does one 612 claim it's not internet connected, but the other two VIP receivers (as of this evening) are doing the same thing! I started a conversation with DIRT member Pam, and darned if I didn't get a successful download of 12 Monkeys. This reminds me of my Jag that started running perfectly once it was in my mechanic's neighborhood.

I suspect this successful download was a fluke, but I am not sure. More sleuthing and download attempts are in order.

I can't imagine how a SlingLink will help, especially considering this same issue exists on all 3 receivers. I succeeded in getting 12 Monkeys to download to my receiver, but that's it. Most of the time, it's just error 789 when I try to browse or rent a movie.

And thanks to everyone willing to help. I am leaning toward a Dish server issue, and not a receiver issue nor an ISP issue.

Back when I had a 612... that was honestly the only way I could get it to consistently work. It’s been a few years since then, though.

Actually , if it was a Dish issue, we’d be hearing similar complaints from others. Even though they are fewer each day.
:D

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

Actually , if it was a Dish issue, we’d be hearing similar complaints from others.
Possible. So what has changed all of a sudden to my setup such that the Internet connection on all 3 VIP receivers (and nothing else) suddenly behave like this?

Looks like some woman in Australia was considering DirecTV.....

(Thas a joke, son, jus a joke. In poor taste.)

Sent from my iPhone using the SatelliteGuys app!

My 612 stopped connecting to the internet a while ago (I have a hardline connection). I haven't done any troubleshooting on it yet though.
Since it now sounds like TheKrell's problem is more widespread than just the one ViP612, I will make you the same offer, if you want to try switching to another ViP612 to try to solve the problem. My old one is just taking up space in my closet not doing anyone any good, so I will be glad to get rid of it. First come, first served.