Vip612 won't boot

sam_gordon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 21, 2009
Lexington, ky
I've been gone for work for a couple days. My wife told me on Thursday(?) our 612 locked up. She unplugged it for 5 minutes, plugged it back in, and the fan just spun. Couldn't press any buttons, no activity lights, etc. The next day she unplugged it while she was at work, when she got home, plugged it in and again fan activity only.

I tried when I got back home today and same thing. We do not have the protection plan. We are not under contract. Would the best thing be add the protection plan online and then call support? What's the best way to accomplish this?

Might be time to consider moving to one of the Hoppers. A replacement ViP is likely to have a relatively old HDD and may not have a long life.

You may have been hit by a bad capacitor. I gather it's leased, so the cause matters little.

Yes, you can add the protection plan. Some report doing so in the same call for replacement. You have to keep the plan for a certain number of months, though. Sorry, I don't remember how many.

My 612 still working no issues request a new one no hopper required

Hear hear. I had two leased 612's whose tuners failed after years of great service. I got them both replaced for free, and that was over a year ago. The "new" ones are doing fine.

Whereas I had 4 612's. Biggest pieces of junk I ever had with dish. 722 and 211s rock solid

Sent from my iPhone
I agree, the 612s were garbage.
I went through 3 of those in less than 6 months.
It soon after got replaced by 722k.

Then Charlie upped those additional duo DVRs fees to $17.
And I had 3 of them.
So I took a dish break.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Dish will replace it, you don't need the protection plan. They may want you pay shipping, if they do ask them to waive it, if not tell them to hold off sending it you are going to check the deals from cable. See if that works.
Many years ago the 612 had overheating problems, if you didn't well ventilate it. But mine have been trouble free for a long time now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)