VIP622 and Surge Protectors

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

donnych

Original poster
Feb 19, 2008
after my 4th vip622 went out this afternoon the tech guy said I must have a bad surge protector and said I should bypass it and plug straight to wall.
Any truth to this and any opinion would be helpful.
He said any lighting damage would be replace since they are leased.

Many surge suppressors give no indication that they have failed and are no longer providing protection. Personally, I figure any surge suppressor less than $50 is almost worthless - for this kind of equipment. After using large surge suppressors and UPS units, I broke down and spent a few hundred on an APC AV UPS/power conditioner system for my entire HT.

A good unit will compensate for low (& sometimes high) voltage, as well as provide surge and dropout protection. I suggest you also check that the wires to your outlet are firmly attached to the outlet. Common problem.

After the (1 yr?) warranty, you pay for repairs. Might want to carry the $5.99 per month DHPP. I do, and it's probably paid off with all the 721s that have floated thru this house. Peace of mind, anyway.

I would not dream of operating an x22 without an UPS but many will tlll you that you should bypass an UPS or surge protector as they tend to interfere with DISHCOMM. Ther are some strips that are compatible but i choose just to forget DISCOMM.

Look for stray voltage crossing the chassis of the box. If you are connected with a phone line, try running your DVR with the phone line disconnected to see if you can maintain stability that way. I've found many box failures to be the result of 50 volts crossing the chassis because of reversed phone cabling.

I just upgraded from a Dish 811 HD receiver to a ViP211 and a ViP222. I've been using a Monster HTS3600 power center for all of my equipment, including the Dish Network signal to their receiver. The installer said it would probably work since it worked with E* signals previously.

I hooked it up after the installer left because it takes a while to disconnect and connect the coax on the back of an HTS3600 in a crowded video stand. Anyway, it sort of worked, but I got freezes and breakups that I didn't get when the installer hooked up the receiver directly to the coax source.

So I disconnected it and all is well. I don't think the HTS3600 can handle the 3000 MHz rating that E* expects for everything in their current systems. Since those babies are $500 a pop, I don't plan on buying another one any time soon.

Personally, I figure any surge suppressor less than $50 is almost worthless - for this kind of equipment.
Actually, the cheapo units that feature only MOVs or similar are just what the doctor ordered. The keep out the spikes while allowing the DISHCOMM traffic through unimpeded.

The TII HNP6-x-t-s is the only surge protector currently approved by DISH for both DishPro signals and DishComm. I sell them quite often to my customers.

vegassatellite,

Where are you buying those out of? Looks like distribution is not main channel like Ingram or D&H. They have a limited distribution network for product?

Actually, the cheapo units that feature only MOVs or similar are just what the doctor ordered. The keep out the spikes while allowing the DISHCOMM traffic through unimpeded.
They dampen spikes sometimes long (in electrical terms, milliseconds are a long time) after the spike has already hit your equipment, they dump the spike into your ground wire where it can run back up anything also plugged into the ground, and when the MOVs have taken their limit they quit protecting you but do not tell you they are no longer working. Some have even caused fires - SURGE PROTECTOR FIRE

The TII HNP6-x-t-s is the only surge protector currently approved by DISH for both DishPro signals and DishComm. I sell them quite often to my customers.

Sounds and looks (based on the PDF data sheet) like a great product. So two questions:

1. Where can the average DIY guy get one?

2. Does it come in anything but the black color?

Thanks,

Carl B.

I'm able to get them from our local satellite distributor, RS&I.

Any advice for the average Dish Sub on where to purchase these? My Google Foo is weak and can't seem to find one of these through a retail channel.

What's the approximate cost for an end-user?

Thanks -

I use a UPS for my 622, the two EHD's connected to it, and my HDTV. Never had any problems at all, and I get a lot of power fluctuations here, unfortunately. That UPS has undoubtedly saved my 622, EHDs and TV from innumerable power spikes and drops.

Give the nuumber of brief outages in my area I pretty much need an UPS. Is any UPS comaptible with DISHCOMM. Although since both of my receivers are connected by broadband I don't think I need it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts