VIP622 crash and burn?

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Well, not yet but it is on its way. This is the second one I have had since March. The first one got the black screen of death. This one started its slow death tonight.

Over the last few weeks I have noticed that my fan was running about 80% of the time that I was watching tv. It did not make a differance if I was using DVR functions or not. Then tonight I was watching Battlestar Galactica and I noticed that the fan was not running at all.

With about 5 minutes to go the output went completely red! I thought maybe it was the show. Nope, I turned off and on the tv and it momentarilly (about a minute) worked correctly and then went red again.

I tried my DVD player and the colour was okay so I knew my set hadn't crapped out so I reseat the 622. Well the now the red is gone and I mean outta there. Blue and green is all I have going now. Is this a joke or what? I am using HDMI. It is too late to call Dish but I will make that call first thing in the morning. Surely they can make a 622 that can last longer the 3 months -- can't they?:(

I don't suppose you're using an additional cooling element? These things run very hot. As soon as I removed the rubber feet and put a laptop cooler below it (powered by a USB port on the back of the 622) my average temp went down about 25 degrees, and now I don't get any errors when it's recording 3 shows at the same time. Before it would cause a little blocking.

Yep, the 622 runs hot so it shouldn't be stacked with other equipment. It should be on it's own shelf prefereably with an open back so there is airflow all around it. and at the very least the feet should be put up on blocks (at least 1" tall) to get more air flow to the underneath.

Ideally, additional cooling should be added to help remove hot air from around the unit (USB powered fan is easiest)

And before anyone pounces saying you shouldn't have to do any of that. You are correct. But that's how it is. Spending $15 dollars to save yourself the headache of failure and return and to have a properly operating unit, is worth it.

THe fan is on the bottom of the 942 and 622. it is an in-take fan. (raising the unit up an inch or so help with cool air flow to the fan. Air exits the left side (viewed from front) and also has passive intake vents on the right side.

Not stacking anything on it will allow convection cooling from the top. An additional fan to remove hot exhaust from the left side helps considerably.

With good air flow the internal fan will do it's job. But if the fan fails you're screwed. Hence the additional cooling to take some of the load off the internal fan. Allowing it to work less, thus increasing it's life span.

Just a suggestion for preventative maintenence. Considering the real reduction in operating temperatures these simple things have achieved. It's a worthwhile project.

See this thread.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=59186&highlight=hot+622

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)