ViP622 HD failure question and options. Need thoughts & suggestions.

SickPup404

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Came back from vacation yesterday to our house at 88 degrees. A/C breaker was tripped. ViP622 in the A/V cabinet had the 311 error for HD failure up on screen. Unplugged twice. Power button reset three times. No dice...

After much searching here, Dish.com, and on Google, I've come up with the following options:

• Replace HD with another 320GB
  • Replace HD with a 500GB Seagate ST3500321CS or ST3500830SCE?
  • Upgrade to ViP722 or 722k
  • Upgrade to Hopper

I would have to open it up or check Yahoo Groups for the exact compatible models for the 320GB, but does anyone here have advice or experience on the 500GB?

Is there any real difference in the 722/722k? I saw some posts referring to the OTA tuner being an optional add on in the 722k, but that doesn't make sense to me...

We've built up a collection of recordings on the external HD using a SATA dock. Something like 4TB worth on six drives. Does any above option allow us to continue using these, or are they all toast?

We own this outright - bought from Scott some years ago - and would prefer not leasing from Dish.

I would only be using this on a single HDTV, so multiple tuners is great.

Any help or advice you can provide is always appreciated.

722 is older and had a built in ota module. 722k is newer and has an OTA cartridge you can buy for $50. The 722k has the remote wizard, to back up timers and settings, 722 does not. Other than that, they are pretty similar.

They all support a sling adapter, which your 622 did not.

You can connect the ehd to any of the above models. I'd be sure not to connect them until the new receiver is pushing live video, just to be safe.

Hopper is hands down the best option.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Rebuilding a ViP622 is mostly a waste of time and energy as compared with popping for shipping on a refurb.

The only reason to refit a ViP622 is if you have the misfortune of owning it.

If I were you, I'd reconsider my dislike of leasing.

Have you ever run out of sat tuners on your ViP622? The Hopper series gives you 3 sat tuners, plus PTAT. And you can plug in an OTA USB tuner.

First thing is buy the Protection Plan for $7 /mo. you must keep it for 4mo.($28) under it DISH will replace your 622 with a refurbished DVR probably a 622 and you will still own it.

Years ago I replaced my 320gb drive in my VIP622, with a 500gb drive. That drive went bad in like 1.5 years, and I replaced it again with another 500gb drive. I eventually bought a VIP722k from a person at SatGuys. I am much happier with the 722k, (it's a better receiver for sure, and more stable) and can use a Dish Sling adapter with it if I so choose. Those don't work with the 622.

I also recommend replacing it with an upgrade of some sort. I am still happy with the 722k, and will not ever upgrade to the Hopper myself.

I agree with primestar31.The extra money,and the extra bugs aren't enough to entice me to upgrade.

Here. Let's celebrate! Taste this lovely refreshing beverage!

:dev

You can always (downgrade) navy.:D imho the 722/722k are some of the most reliable receivers dish has ever made.Just like the 922,when it first premiered I was really wanting one,after reading all the reviews I steered clear.Nothing annoys me worse when it comes to tv,than bugs,having to reboot,missed timers etc.

I was happy with my ViP722s. But they were beginning to degrade. Hopped on board, so to speak, and have been VERY happy. Except for when these EHD bugs got so bad. But I have reason to believe that some major bug fixes are coming out. I still have hope.

Thanks all for all the good info!

I just want to clarify about the EHD - would we still be able to view the recorded shows even if we go to a 722? I thought the content was locked to the 622?

Also, I'm glad to hear the 722 is a more stable beast... We had an old 508 that was nice, then went to an old 721 (or was it 921?) that was totally unreliable! Been pretty happy with the 622, had one that the HDMI port died, but the biggest complaint we have is the response from remote commands can be sluggish sometimes. It registers that a button was hit on the remote but the receiver doesn't carry out functions for a second or two - annoying when you hit guide and hit it again, then the wrong guide comes up!

Any suggestions for places to buy a 722 since Scott doesn't have the site any longer?

Thanks again to all!

If your 622 was a 722, I would say just replace the drive.

I would look for a 722k on ebay, there somtimes are still new ones there, or upgrade to a hopper or leased 722k. either way you will still have your recordings.

A couple more things in regards to the Sling adapter... We currently have a Slingbox Solo...

Does it stream HD or is it SD only?
From the pictures I see, it looks like it only needs USB? Does it need external power? We've been through three AC adapters on the Solo - apparently they are notorious for eating them...

Thx!

Dish EHDs are locked to the account, not the receiver.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)