ViP622 HD failure question and options. Need thoughts & suggestions.

I've had a Hopper since they came out with the OTA dongle. I would never go back to a 722. I upgraded to 2 HWS's when they came out. AFAIK, the 722's are out of production so all you can get are refurbs. Why do you want to own? Except for the 2 year commitment, there is no benefit if you plan to stay with Dish.
Look at your viewing habits. If you watch a lot of Prime time network shows, the Hopper can dedicate 1 tuner to record all 4 networks, leaving you with 2 Dish tuners plus an ota if you have the dongle.
I've been with Dish for over 18 years. I had to buy and install my 1st system.

For a while there were major breakups in recordings. Was fixed about a month ago.

The "Add Locals" option to add individual stations without scanning is not active yet. If you select it, you get "Coming Soon."

The USB dongle itself seems to be a very good OTA tuner.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

IF you buy a VIP722K model, make sure it comes with the OTA module installed if you intend to also hook it up to an outdoor antenna. The 722K model doesn't have built-in OTA, but gets it through a module that has to be installed. If you don't need that, then you'll be all set with any 722K.

That module alone sells for around $50 or so, so it's better to get it thrown in with the deal.

IF you buy a VIP722K model, make sure it comes with the OTA module installed if you intend to also hook it up to an outdoor antenna. The 722K model doesn't have built-in OTA, but gets it through a module that has to be installed. If you don't need that, then you'll be all set with any 722K.

That module alone sells for around $50 or so, so it's better to get it thrown in with the deal.

Yep, as in post #2.

Just a quick reply to let you know what I decided.

I ended up ordering the 722K from solid signal, along with the Sling adapter and the MT2 OTA adapter.

I just thought it was too much time and effort to repair the 622 or upgrade the hard drive and we would still have a four or five-year-old receiver.

Well, I got the 722K today, along with the MT2 OTA module and the Sling adapter.

Installed, got it activated, Sling adapter works great, but....

I disconnected the OTA antenna from the 622 like all the rest of the cables, I installed the MT2 OTA module, attached the antenna cable, then did a local scan and it got nothing... Any ideas?

Just a quick update.

Before posting, I had disconnected/reconnected the OTA cable with no results.

Ended up unplugging and reseating the OTA module to get it working!

*facepalm*

Guess I got a bad 722k....

Two 311 HD failure messages last night, and a 760 this morning that required a reformat and DVR recordings lost... Just my luck...

That sucks, but it sometimes happens. Contact the seller right away and get it swapped out. My 722k hasn't missed a step since I bought it from a person here at SatGuys a year and 1/2 ago. I couldn't say that for my old 622. That had odd problems all the time.

Just a quick update.

Before posting, I had disconnected/reconnected the OTA cable with no results.

Ended up unplugging and reseating the OTA module to get it working!
A number of people have reported having to reseat the OTA module, probably a design or software flaw. If it's working now, I would just wait a while. Dish will replace it for no or shipping cost when it's activated on your account.

OK, got the replacement 722k from Solid Signal over the weekend (*ThumbsUp* Great bunch to deal with!).

I did the backup of settings to the remote. Is there a way to restore the settings to the new receiver? I played around a bit and didn't see anything in the old one. I'm getting ready to just go through everything and write it down by hand...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)