ViP622 HDMI problem/upped to ViP722

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Installed my ViP622 on 3/21/06. Two plus years isn't bad, considering what others have gone thru. Recently I've been losing the output from the HDMI and had to fiddle with the cable. Tried 3 different cables. Almost gave up today, but it came back at the last moment. If it happens again, I'll use component for a while. Anyway, I used Dish's online chat function, most of which is below. First paragraph is what I typed in to start the chat:

HDMI port seems to be failing. Tried 3 cables. Must wiggle a lot, slide it out some, etc etc to retrieve signal. Sometimes get video but no audio.
I guess I can turn it in for another ViP622.
Or maybe for a ViP722?

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you. In order to ensure we are providing you with the highest level of customer satisfaction, this conversation will be recorded.
You have been connected to (04) Daniel R.
(04) Daniel R: Thank you for choosing Dish Network Chat Support. Please give me a moment while I review your technical Issue.
(04) Daniel R: Thank you for your patience.
(04) Daniel R: When you connect the HDMI cable, what do you see on the screen?
me: It is normally connected via HDMI thru Onkyo 805. Sometimes screen goes blank and Onkyo & TV say "no signal." Must jiggle a LOT to regain signal. Tried 3 diff cables.
(04) Daniel R: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
(04) Daniel R: How long have you had this problem?
me: About week. Getting worse. Almost gave up today.
(04) Daniel R: In order to help you resolve this issue, I will transfer this chat to Advance Technical Support for further assistance.
(04) Daniel R: Please stay online while I transfer.
(04) Daniel R has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the (16) Advanced Tech Support department to assist you.
You have been connected to (05) Heather K.
(05) Heather K: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in HD and DVR. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
Me: Extra info: I was rather early in getting ViP622. Main Board # ends in B. But above the HDMI port is a screw. I thought this indicated that that model was "fixed" for the loose HDMI connector problem.
(05) Heather K: I am sorry to hear that you are having that problem, I would be happy to assist you with that.
(05) Heather K: One moment please while I review your past chat.
(05) Heather K: How long have you had this problem?
Me: About a week.
(05) Heather K: Has anything happened to the system lately, has it been moved or have you changed HDMI cables?
Me: It started suddenly. No movement or changeout of any equip. So I tried another cable. No help, problem recurred. So I tried a 3rd cable that I ordered for this, a "gold" cable. Problem worse, if anything,
(05) Heather K: Ok, that is fantastic information.
(05) Heather K: Thank you.
(05) Heather K: Are you able to use the HDMI cable like normal with another unit, like a Playstation or BlueRay player?
Me: As a matter of fact, I also have a PS3 to play Blu-rays. It also goes to Onkyo. No problems .
(05) Heather K: Ok. That is exactly what I needed to know.
(05) Heather K: In that case, we will want to replace your system.
Me: ViP622 or ViP722?
(05) Heather K: It will be replaced with a new VIP622.
Me: No. I mean, do you have an upgrade offer to ViP722?
(05) Heather K: Let me check that for you, one moment please.
(05) Heather K: Yes, we are still currently running our Dish'n it Up promotion. With this promotion you can get the new VIP722 for $75.00 shipped.
(05) Heather K: For being such a great customer ...... a 24 month commitment ..... leased and Dish Network does retain ownership ...... maintain a minimum qualified programming package on the account of at least the Dish FAMILY, Great Wall, Dish LATINO or one of our qualified basic packages while the leased equipment is active on the account.
(Note: these are the minimum programming packages required and you already qualify with your current programming without having to add anything for this promotion.)
Me: OK, I'm good with that.
(05) Heather K: Ok, is that what you are interested in doing?
Me: Yes.
(05) Heather K: I apologize for any inconvenience. In this case, you will need to call in to speak with a live agent at 800-333-3474 to get this promotion. I would love to assist you but for security purposes I will not be able to take any of your information.
(05) Heather K: I will leave a note on your account that is exactly what you want to do.
(05) Heather K: That way, customer service will know exactly what to get done for you.
(05) Heather K: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Me: I will call right now. $75 & 2 yr commit is fine w/me.
(05) Heather K: Great.
(05) Heather K: You're all set, is there anything else I can do for you?
Me: no.
(05) Heather K: Thank you for using Dish Network Live Chat, have a great day.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

- - - - - -

So I called and went thru tech support. Gave them the short version of the above. Lady said "$75? My computer says $125." I asked if she had a transcript of the chat, she did, and saw the $75 offer. "Oh, Dish'n it Up! We're just going to ship it to you? Normally we like an installer to do the HD work." I assured her it was a simple install, and she said she'd "waive" the additional $50. Ships in 7-10 days, I have 15 to return the old unit, and I don't return the old remote.

$75, agree to maintain some minimum programming level and a 2 year commitment. No problem. Early contract termination is $10 for each month remaining in the contract.

I have no problem committing to 2 years with Dish. I have no interest in sports and D* has no channels that Dish doesn't that interest me. And neither Cox Cable, Fios or D* have a DVR that I'd be happy with.

And unlike what happens when my 721 fails, I won't lose any recordings, I'll just archive everything to the external HDD. I have 2 of those.

Only quibble I have is she said "new" ViP622. I don't think there are any. I'm pretty sure they're into refurbished ones only by now.

The ViP722 is black, will hold 50 hours HD vice 35, and has a better chipset that supports HD downloads (are they offering that now?). Have I missed anything?

And has anyone had an HDMI connector problem with a ViP722?

I've had no problems (KNOCK ON WOOD) on my 722 . I have had both of my 622 replaced for hdmi problems and of one of them for hard drive problems-SQUEAKING like crazy and freezing up on the picture on any hard drive recording.

Sounds like a fair deal to me. I've had my 622 since Feb. 2007 with minimal issues and when it finally goes (depending if newer rcvr hits the streets by then) I will probably opt for the 722 as well. Thanks for posting your experience!

thats good that DN didn't give you hell when you called in. you would have had to pay the 125 if you hadn't went to the online chat first. Or maybe if you mention Dish N it Up, they would have gave you a good price

Odd, I can get a 722 (Enhanced HD DVR ?) for $75 or a 622 (regular HD DVR) for $50 for no reason at all:

(from my "Dish'n It Up" page)

Choose from the options below and call 1-888-884-2741 to upgrade today!

HD DVR

Two Rooms of Service
(or "Picture in Picture" for 1 TV)
Award Winning!

High Definition DVR Receiver (622 ?)
$50 Installed

Enhanced High Definition DVR Receiver (722 ?)
$75 Installed

I tried to change mine several times last year and tbe aswer always was that they were going to "fix" the problem with a software update. I'm calling Dish to find out if the exchange is possible.

Yeap it worked, they only charged me $25 for the 2 Day UPS shipping(2-way), the normal charge for all the folks in Puerto Rico.

Cheers
T

Last edited:
Navy,

My HDMI went out on my 2 year old purchased 622 about 3 weeks ago and Dish sent me a 722 as a replacement. I wasn't charged $75 for the upgrade so maybe you will get lucky. I did stress to them on the phone that my 622 was purchased from a retailer. I am having problems with it rebooting 3-4 times/day and I am kinda hesitant in exchanging it because I don't want to get a 622 in return.

Well, there's hope. But I can't quibble. Extra storage will be nice. Black is an improvement. And wow, the chance to d/l and rent an HD movie! ;)

Naw, $75 isn't bad. Free is better. They may have figured since you bought, you've paid enough. Before contacting them, I had decided $150 was too much, and if it really was $125, I'd talk it over with my wife. At $75, I jumped. The real main reason I upgraded was that I suspect the ViP722 will be a more reliable box.

I've never been late paying a bill. Went on autopay right off. Always paid for DPP. Never had a premium package, except for the 1 cent Cinemax, but always had the "250" level or it's previous equivalents. Moved to HD early (Gold). Been with Dish 6 or 7 years now. Always ran all my own coax inside both houses where I've had Dish, so the installers loved me. Got at least 4 people to sign up with Dish (never did get the Club Dish payoff). Yet they give Hall a better deal than me online? :mad: ;);)

Actually, I probably will d/l and rent at least one HD movie, if they ever have it running, just to see what it's like.

I wonder what they'll offer me for my 721 & 508, in return for an upgrade to another ViP DVR? Bet I'm gonna wait a whole lotta months for that one.

Installed my ViP622 on 3/21/06. Two plus years isn't bad, considering what others have gone thru. Recently I've been losing the output from the HDMI and had to fiddle with the cable. Tried 3 different cables. Almost gave up today, but it came back at the last moment. If it happens again, I'll use component for a while. Anyway, I used Dish's online chat function, most of which is below. First paragraph is what I typed in to start the chat:

HDMI port seems to be failing. Tried 3 cables. Must wiggle a lot, slide it out some, etc etc to retrieve signal. Sometimes get video but no audio.
I guess I can turn it in for another ViP622.
Or maybe for a ViP722?

Please wait while we find a representative to assist you. In order to ensure we are providing you with the highest level of customer satisfaction, this conversation will be recorded.
You have been connected to (04) Daniel R.
(04) Daniel R: Thank you for choosing Dish Network Chat Support. Please give me a moment while I review your technical Issue.
(04) Daniel R: Thank you for your patience.
(04) Daniel R: When you connect the HDMI cable, what do you see on the screen?
me: It is normally connected via HDMI thru Onkyo 805. Sometimes screen goes blank and Onkyo & TV say "no signal." Must jiggle a LOT to regain signal. Tried 3 diff cables.
(04) Daniel R: I apologize for the inconvenience caused to you.
(04) Daniel R: How long have you had this problem?
me: About week. Getting worse. Almost gave up today.
(04) Daniel R: In order to help you resolve this issue, I will transfer this chat to Advance Technical Support for further assistance.
(04) Daniel R: Please stay online while I transfer.
(04) Daniel R has left the session.
Please wait while we find an agent from the (16) Advanced Tech Support department to assist you.
You have been connected to (05) Heather K.
(05) Heather K: Thank you for choosing Dish Network the leader in HD and DVR. I will be happy to assist you today. Please give me 2-3 minutes to access your account and review the information you have already provided.
Me: Extra info: I was rather early in getting ViP622. Main Board # ends in B. But above the HDMI port is a screw. I thought this indicated that that model was "fixed" for the loose HDMI connector problem.
(05) Heather K: I am sorry to hear that you are having that problem, I would be happy to assist you with that.
(05) Heather K: One moment please while I review your past chat.
(05) Heather K: How long have you had this problem?
Me: About a week.
(05) Heather K: Has anything happened to the system lately, has it been moved or have you changed HDMI cables?
Me: It started suddenly. No movement or changeout of any equip. So I tried another cable. No help, problem recurred. So I tried a 3rd cable that I ordered for this, a "gold" cable. Problem worse, if anything,
(05) Heather K: Ok, that is fantastic information.
(05) Heather K: Thank you.
(05) Heather K: Are you able to use the HDMI cable like normal with another unit, like a Playstation or BlueRay player?
Me: As a matter of fact, I also have a PS3 to play Blu-rays. It also goes to Onkyo. No problems .
(05) Heather K: Ok. That is exactly what I needed to know.
(05) Heather K: In that case, we will want to replace your system.
Me: ViP622 or ViP722?
(05) Heather K: It will be replaced with a new VIP622.
Me: No. I mean, do you have an upgrade offer to ViP722?
(05) Heather K: Let me check that for you, one moment please.
(05) Heather K: Yes, we are still currently running our Dish'n it Up promotion. With this promotion you can get the new VIP722 for $75.00 shipped.
(05) Heather K: For being such a great customer ...... a 24 month commitment ..... leased and Dish Network does retain ownership ...... maintain a minimum qualified programming package on the account of at least the Dish FAMILY, Great Wall, Dish LATINO or one of our qualified basic packages while the leased equipment is active on the account.
(Note: these are the minimum programming packages required and you already qualify with your current programming without having to add anything for this promotion.)
Me: OK, I'm good with that.
(05) Heather K: Ok, is that what you are interested in doing?
Me: Yes.
(05) Heather K: I apologize for any inconvenience. In this case, you will need to call in to speak with a live agent at 800-333-3474 to get this promotion. I would love to assist you but for security purposes I will not be able to take any of your information.
(05) Heather K: I will leave a note on your account that is exactly what you want to do.
(05) Heather K: That way, customer service will know exactly what to get done for you.
(05) Heather K: Is there anything else I can do for you?
Me: I will call right now. $75 & 2 yr commit is fine w/me.
(05) Heather K: Great.
(05) Heather K: You're all set, is there anything else I can do for you?
Me: no.
(05) Heather K: Thank you for using Dish Network Live Chat, have a great day.
Thank you for visiting Dish Network. You may now close this window.
Your session has ended. You may now close this window.

- - - - - -

So I called and went thru tech support. Gave them the short version of the above. Lady said "$75? My computer says $125." I asked if she had a transcript of the chat, she did, and saw the $75 offer. "Oh, Dish'n it Up! We're just going to ship it to you? Normally we like an installer to do the HD work." I assured her it was a simple install, and she said she'd "waive" the additional $50. Ships in 7-10 days, I have 15 to return the old unit, and I don't return the old remote.

$75, agree to maintain some minimum programming level and a 2 year commitment. No problem. Early contract termination is $10 for each month remaining in the contract.

I have no problem committing to 2 years with Dish. I have no interest in sports and D* has no channels that Dish doesn't that interest me. And neither Cox Cable, Fios or D* have a DVR that I'd be happy with.

And unlike what happens when my 721 fails, I won't lose any recordings, I'll just archive everything to the external HDD. I have 2 of those.

Only quibble I have is she said "new" ViP622. I don't think there are any. I'm pretty sure they're into refurbished ones only by now.

The ViP722 is black, will hold 50 hours HD vice 35, and has a better chipset that supports HD downloads (are they offering that now?). Have I missed anything?

And has anyone had an HDMI connector problem with a ViP722?

Yes I did have problems. I had to tilt the HDMI connector upwards slighly. Then make sure that the cable had a pull so that it kept the strong tilt. That seemed to work. Also I got rid of my Monoprice HDMI cables and bought some with a better connector. That also helped. One monoprice HDMI cable didn't work at all no matter what I did.

EDIT: Whoops my problems were with a 722.

For the record, they'll also upgrade a 522 to a 722 for $75 + 2 year vommitment.

I was thinking about doing that, but then heard there's a new version of the 722 coming out that has sling box functionality build right in, so I'm holding out for that.

I guess I'll have to wait a year now before being eligible for such an upgrade. Assuming they'd do $75 for a 721. By then maybe the ViP722s, or whatever they're going to call it, will be out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)