VIP622 newbie chase play question

jeff_k

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 11, 2006
San Diego, CA
Hi, I am a new Dish / 622 user. I have come across an irritating problem that I am pretty sure has a simple solution, I just can't find it.
I record the NBC 11:00 evening news (runs to 11:30). I typically begin to watch it before it ends, say at 11:15. If I decide to watch the Tonight Show (starts at 11:30), it seems that I cannot access the beginning of it, if I don't finish viewing the playback of the news in time. When my playback of the recording ends, say at 11:40, I am forced to go to live TV, and miss the first 10 minutes. Without setting up a timer to start recording the later show when it starts, how do I manage to access the beginning of the show? I have to believe that the tuner remains on the same channel as it was recording on, assuming it has not been directed to tune elsewhere. I know there will be times, especially football games that end late, where I will want to access this space after the recording has finished. Anyone able to help?

Since your news and Leno are on the same channel, instead of making the news a DVR recording, simply make it a "channel auto-change". When it's tuned to that channel, it will record it as it goes and you can rewind to the beginning if you start watching at 11:15. As you watch the news past 11:30, it will continue recording, in this case, Leno's show. As you FF through commercials, you'll eventually catch up to live TV.

Thanks for your inputs. Both will work fine. I should clarify, my news case was an example of a problem that I want to be proactive about prior to football season. I know that there will be times that I have arranged to record a football game, and it will run past the planned recording time. I have used the TWCable 8300HD recorder prior to moving to Dish, and that recorder would keep the tuner that recorded the game on the same channel past the end of the recording, so it was simple to just forward past the end of the recording to access the "unrecorded" buffer. I am hoping that I can do the same thing with the VIP622. Of course, I can always try to record an extra couple of hours on the end of each game, but I expect that the available drive space will be hard to come by at some point, and would prefer to know how to make this work in the same manner that the TWC DVR did. The thought of moving the tuner onto the channel without recording is a thought, but I don't know how long the recording buffer is on the 622 before it starts erasing the beginning of the buffer. Anyone know if what I am aiming for is possible?

The 622 dvr's default automatically sets sports to record 1 hour past the posted end time. If you are watching the playback while it is still recording, you can press the record button and follow the instructions to add or subtract extra time.

I find I miss the slow motion/frame by frame playback I had with DirecTiVo, and of course the "Bloop bloop" when a button was pushed. Otherwise as another newbie I am finding adopting to the Dish VIP622 very easy.

Anytime there's sports involved, especially football or Nascar racing, be absolutely sure to adjust ALL of your timers that are programmed for after those events. On Sundays for instanace, we like to record Cold Case from 8 to 9. I don't know what's on at 9 to 10, but we record it anyway.... Why ?? Because if a sports event runs late, Cold Case starts late. DVRs aren't capable of detecting this yet (it would require the guide data to be constantly updated, I believe).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts