VIP622 & Recording/Watching Question

Wangta01

Original poster
Jun 14, 2006
New York, NY
Sorry guys, but I have a really stupid question.

I bought the VIP622 for my parents (who live 500 miles away from me), and they just got it last night. They are thrilled with the device, but say that they cannot record anything and watch another program (on another channel) at the same time. While this doesn't make sense to me (a VCR can do this, but the VIP622 cannot??), I am unable to confirm this from online info and cannot physically check this myself. Can anyone confirm that this is true? If so, is there an easy work around?

Thanks much guys and sorry, I know this is a very elementry question..

Sounds like 622 is set for dual user mode and the Record Plus feature is not enabled. The switch for the single/user mode in hidden behind panel on front of receiver right next to the power button. To enable the Record Plus feature - press 'Menu", "Preferences", "Record Plus", the select the prober Activation and Record Preference. That should solve their problem.

garys said:
Sounds like 622 is set for dual user mode and the Record Plus feature is not enabled. The switch for the single/user mode in hidden behind panel on front of receiver right next to the power button. To enable the Record Plus feature - press 'Menu", "Preferences", "Record Plus", the select the prober Activation and Record Preference. That should solve their problem.

garys, thanks for the reply.

Ok, so let me get this straight. In order to watch something AND record something on a DIFFERENCE channel, I need to have Record Plus enabled (What is this?) AND be in single user mode?

To turn on Record plus: Menu-->Preferences-->Record Plus = ON
Question - what are the proper activation and record preferences?

To switch to single/user - switch next to power button.

Dual mode allows the 622 to send signal for each of its tuners to different outputs, so you can watch two different programs in two different rooms, both coming from the 622. Single mode assigns all tuners to just a single output, so you can watch one program (on one tuner) while recording another (with the other). This of course all happens in the background, all you need to do is set a timer, watch whatever you want, and let the 622 take care of the rest.

The 622 is a complex device. If you're not familiar with it yourself, and/or you don't have one in front of you (and the monitor displaying the screens) it will be almost impossible for anyone to explain it to you adequately. Here is a link to Dish's on-line 622's User's Guide in a series of pdf files you can d/l. This is identically the same as the hard-copy manual your parents have. You can find a number of answers there:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/userguides_manuals/receivers/ViP622_DVR/index.shtml

How was your parent's system installed? If an installer did it I would submit that he still bears some responsibility for making sure your parents are comfortable with the 622's operation. Hopefully he gave them some initial instruction (15-20 minutes), but with the 622, as you're learning, finding some answers often serves only to raise a whole new series of questions! The point is, I think your parents would benefit from some additional personalized help with the 622, and if that means paying for another service call for "training", it would probably be worth it! (Maybe you could be "there" at least by conference call when it happens to help them ask the right questions...!) One caveat - in some cases the installers are not themselves sufficently versed in the 622's operation; hopefully you can get one that really knows what he is doing.

The 622 is a great receiver/DVR with many useful and well-designed features and flexibility. But like anything else "technical" it can be a challenge to master to really enjoy its full capabilities. Good luck with your dilemma and let us know how you make out. (Get mom or dad signed-up for this forum - they can really learn a lot from the braintrust here...!)

Last edited:
You would have to switch to either "single" mode OR enable "record plus". Single mode works better if you do not need the 622 to feed another TV with different channels.